Heated o2 conversion wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I did try to do that, but it appeared as if I'd have to download software before I could download the files I wanted. Didn't want to do that.

Special thanks to Road Trip for posting what I needed! Schurkey too. Looks like it's cool if I just snip the pink/white wire coming from my 4WD fuse & use a heatshrinkable butt-splice connector that's also adhesive lined. Or the little thing he used, don't have any of those but could get some. I've got plenty of adhesive lined heat-shrink tubing.
Just a .PDF reader, Adobe Acrobat. I figure most people have this already but I do understand the reluctance to download something if you're not familiar with it.

Richard

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Have you checked the factory manuals? They've got the wiring diagrams. Ya know, I've never really paid a lot of attention to how the factory did it, but if you want to look - 1994 had numerous models with the heated O2. You could wire it like factory.

Richard

My thoughts stand corrected. I suspected you had to download some software from MediaFire or become a member to download documents, but I just downloaded the 1994 Electrical Diagnostic manual with no issue. Cool beans, thank you fellas.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Fixing to do this soon as I get the wire on hand. What gauge is appropriate for running the power supply? I’m thinking either 16 or 18 gauge should be adequate for most circuits on the suburban.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure what the current draw is on heated sensors. Can't go wrong with 16 gauge. Remember overkill means you need another freezer.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
What gauge wire is listed on the schematic for a vehicle with a heated O2 sensor?

What gauge wire is the 3- or 4-wire pigtail made out of?
Very good point, and well, logical. Not sure I saw a size on the schematic, at least don't remember seeing one.

Not sure why it didn't even cross my mind to check the pigtail..... as always, good call Schurkey. Off to the parts pile I will go.

Not sure what the current draw is on heated sensors. Can't go wrong with 16 gauge. Remember overkill means you need another freezer.
Going to check size on pigtail and go with that guage, or slightly larger.

Edit: The Michigan motorsports harness has a 20 gauge power supply wire. Appears the same as the sensor pigtail.

Last edited:

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it's a four wire sensor I would choose 18 for the power,power ground and sensor ground and 20 for the sensor. For three wire 18 for power and power ground and 20 for the sensor. 20 gauge will have lower resistance so better signal to the ECM.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heavier-gauge wire will have lower resistance.

Given the extremely low amperage, it probably doesn't make any difference between 16 gauge and 20 gauge. There'd be a difference in resistance, but not a meaningful difference.

I am not enough of an EE to take any guesses at inductance, capacitance, or impedance. My mechanic's intuition is saying there's no meaningful difference there, either.