Heated o2 conversion wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No. That's why starter cables are so heavy. More metal, heavier gauge, carries more current without heating due to resistance--the opposite of a light-bulb that glows white-hot because of the amperage across the high resistance of a thin wire.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No. That's why starter cables are so heavy. More metal, heavier gauge, carries more current without heating due to resistance--the opposite of a light-bulb that glows white-hot because of the amperage across the high resistance of a thin wire.
No. You got it back asswards Schurk. Large conductors are for carrying large amounts of current as you say but they have a higher resistance per foot than a smaller conductor of the same material. The less resistance in the filament in a bulb allows for more current to flow and makes it glow. The lower the resistance in the filament,the brighter the bulb glows. Take your common 1157 dual filament bulb and hold it up and look the the filaments. The brake filament is much shorter,has less resistance and burns brighter than the running light filament which is longer and has more resistance. Break out your ohmmeter and check it out. Take one foot of 3/0 cable and one foot of 20 gauge(lenght don't matter as long as both are the same)and compare the readings.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope. More metal means more pathway. If you have a 10 gauge cable with thick strands, then it will have more resistance than a 10 gauge cable with more thin strands, but a 10 gauge cable will have less resistance than a 12 gauge cable if they have the same size strands.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Large conductors are for carrying large amounts of current as you say but they have a higher resistance per foot than a smaller conductor of the same material.
We always went by NEC code book for Voltage Drop over distances. The larger the cross section, the lower the resistance.

You must be registered for see images attach

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We always went by NEC code book for Voltage Drop over distances. The larger the cross section, the lower the resistance.

Again still using current as the deciding factor when choosing wire gauge. The O2 sensor is working it the millivolt range an possibly microamp range. The resistance of a 3/0 cable would completely absorb the signal to the ECM. It was explained to me years ago by a sound man that worked with a local band. According to him smaller wires to the speakers made the signal move faster with less signal loss. For him it was a balancing act of choosing wire gauge by the amount of power(volts X amps)and running one gauge larger than the minimum wire gauge for that application.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to him smaller wires to the speakers made the signal move faster with less signal loss. For him it was a balancing act of choosing wire gauge by the amount of power(volts X amps)and running one gauge larger than the minimum wire gauge for that application.
Well, that may be the disconnect - we're talking about powering the heated O2, not sending signals.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No,actually I was talking about the sensor wire,you could power the heating element with battery cables.
But we were talking about powering the heating element. Michigan Motorsports' adapter has the connectors for the 3-wire to the 1 wire plug (see post #1 in this thread). There's no need to change that wire since it's already connected, we just nee to land the ground and a hot to the 3-wire sensor.

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The O2 sensor is working it the millivolt range an possibly microamp range. The resistance of a 3/0 cable would completely absorb the signal to the ECM. It was explained to me years ago by a sound man that worked with a local band. According to him smaller wires to the speakers made the signal move faster with less signal loss. For him it was a balancing act of choosing wire gauge by the amount of power(volts X amps)and running one gauge larger than the minimum wire gauge for that application.
The RESISTANCE is not the problem in this case. Bigger wire = less resistance; and while resistance is important, it's also really easy to get the resistance low enough to not be a significant factor in the signal transmission--which for the O2 heater is a DC voltage/DC amperage of fairly small values.

The issue especially with the AC sensor signal will be with the impedance; a combination of inductance, capacitance, and resistance, with resistance not being a critical factor if the wire gauge is large enough.

But the conductor construction, and it's insulator properties can change the inductance and capacitance. Given the right conditions, those components of impedance could absorb or distort the signal. I can believe that a too-huge wire could interfere with the sensor signal...but not because the resistance is too high.

Having said all that, I have to admit that everything I know about impedance I learned from stereo/audio/home-theater magazine articles; I am NOT an expert nor am I in any fashion qualified as an electrician never mind an Electrical Engineer. Suffice to say that I am waiting for the electrician or someone like him.

For example, I know that Polk Audio, thousands of years ago, sold speaker cables ("Cobra Cables") of exotic construction--imported from Japan with the conductors braided and wound around each other in a special way. The inductance and resistance was very low, the capacitance was very high, and the cables were infamous for blowing-up various amplifiers they were connected to--the amplifiers were sensitive to, and did not play well with the relatively large capacitance of the cables. OTOH, the point of those cables was to minimize inductance which is has significant ill effects on the accuracy of the motion of the speaker drivers in relation to the signal the amplifier is producing. Therefore, IF (big IF) your amplifier could deal with the capacitance, (some could...some couldn't) the Cobra Cables were very desirable as they'd make the speaker drivers perform at their best.

Last edited: