heads/cam/carb swap 350 tbi worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

daturbosix

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
thinking about doing a cam, topend, and carb swap on my 95 tbi 350.

what kind of power should i expect to be able to make?
or should i just save my dollars to put all towards a ls swap and stop thinking about hopping up the tbi?

Spastik Monkey

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your biggest and cost effective gains from a TBI will be a good set of vortec heads, cam and lifters, and the ultimate TBI mods.

That being said,

If you're already looking at an LS swap, I'd go that route myself. Better power, better mileage, smoother power delivery, it's all around a better power plant.

Rusty Nail

Artificial membership inflator
Reaction score
Worth it!

Yes.
Shun vortex. Shunnnn!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nRB8Jor8tPs

An engine swap? Better have something else to drive! I cannot fathom the horrible cost INEFFICENCY that would be a tbi-vortex swap.

The "carb"? Not necessary. Vortex heads, yes. Intake, yes. Camshaft? YES!
Money in the pocket? Yes.
Reliability? Yes.
Could you continue to fix it with a shovel? Yes.
Plus it'll outrun a vortex.

Last edited:

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
To the OP, it really all depends on what your doing with the truck and what you're looking for from it. For me, my stone stock TBI is plenty sufficient, but I only drive to and from work lol.

Ditts454ss

Reaction score
thinking about doing a cam, topend, and carb swap on my 95 tbi 350.

what kind of power should i expect to be able to make?
or should i just save my dollars to put all towards a ls swap and stop thinking about hopping up the tbi?
Get aluminum heads and make sure your new combo, (intake, cam, converter, exhaust)all mingles and don't hodgepodge it and you'll be happy. Horsepower depends on the overall package but if you choose the right combo you'll easily surpass the 300hp mark. LS swsps are ok but I would stick with your sbc.

beardeddummy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Get aluminum heads and make sure your new combo, (intake, cam, converter, exhaust)all mingles and don't hodgepodge it and you'll be happy. Horsepower depends on the overall package but if you choose the right combo you'll easily surpass the 300hp mark. LS swsps are ok but I would stick with your sbc.

Sbc with vortec heads been making good power for long while. A built ls may be faster but i like the idea of keeping the original motor design in my truck. That being said when i build my vortec i wont have a vortec intake manifold. I dont like gasket issues that can kill a motor

daturbosix

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes.
An engine swap? Better have something else to drive! I cannot fathom the horrible cost INEFFICENCY that would be a tbi-vortex swap.

the truck is a toy to me, not a daily at the moment as i refuse for it to see salt and snow.
it would be a daily come spring time though. so i want to set this thing up within the next couple months

i did pick up a 4.8 ls on a whim the other day for cheap, took it apart to inspect, and turned out to be a 5.3! haha
not stuck on that, im still on the fence with ls vs. sbc..

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
I'd go with the TBI 350 built, IMO. It's honestly one of the easiest and most affordable blocks to build for horsepower... like ever. I'd take one over my Vortec 350 anyday.