Header removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Askme42

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok having a little trouble with the drivers side header. I have a 1991 gmc with the 5.7. Anyone have an easy trick to getting the front bracket off (closest two bolts to the grill). I believe this bracket hooks up to the steering pump.

johnson_ricky

Reaction score
this may be a little late but i just swapped my motor I assume youre talking about the bracket that goes to the alternator, headers, and back of the power steering pump...just cut it off, the alternator already has two bolts holding it in and mines been doing just fine for a few thousand miles

Bearcat91

CRASH
Reaction score
i was gonna ask a similar question..what to do with alt bracket? so your just running with out it correct? any pictures?

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
There are a total of 4 nuts holding the bracket on. And one bolt to the alternator.
Two nutsthat go to the headers/manifold bolts.
The other two are behind/underneath the power steering pump.

I made a straight cut with an angle grinder between power steering pump and where the bracket bolts on to the header bolts.

All that is req'd is: Remove bolt at top of bracket holding alternator, and the two nuts on the header/manifold studs.
Should now slide off.

Mine has also been fine for close to 500 KM's now.