Has anyone worked with carbon fiber sheets?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tommy1234

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone had done carbon fiber fabrication.. Like I heard about people using raw carbon fiber and epoxy/resin. Also I heard about cutting into like finished carbon fiber like the carbon fiber plate they sell on Amazon or oh your local hobby site. I actually cut into the pre resined carbon fiber... it was like cutting into wood or plastic. I'll have to take a picture of the dash of my truck when I get a chance.

Attachments

• 20220326_070739.jpg
    20220326_070739.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 11

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score
Yes I've done some carbon/epoxy work. Comes in handy with my RC airplane builds. Used mostly to make a 1/8" thick firewall instead of one 1/4" thick. Also when lots of strength is needed that fiberglass won't provide. I will stick some parts in a vacuum bag when I want a really good bond, if the part will fit the bag.

Ken

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
C/F is hard on cutting tools. Eats razor knives. Kills scissors.
I worked for a while next door to a place that manufactured Ocean Touring Kayaks. Shared entry.
Around 10% or so of their production was carbon fiber.
They'd pay $10.00 for the scissors they'd cut the normal fiberglass mat with.
Those POS's wouldn't cut the C/F. The blades would twist away from each other. The handles would break.
My scissors cost me $80.00. A pair would last 5 years. A good sharpening would be good for at least month. Maybe two.
I always have 6 or 7 or more pairs around the shop in various stages of age. From near new to beaters.
Those rat b*st*rd production workers would sneak over & 'borrow' mine. Without telling me.
Even with using mine, cutting the C/F and they'd go 0ne...two...three-e-e-...f-o-u---rrr... ...f...f...f-f-five...s...s--i--i--x--x cuts...
Time to sharpen them.
That stuff just killed my shears!
Of course those guys didn't know how to sharpen them properly. They tried. They couldn't.
So they'd just use each pair, one by one, until every pair was so dull, they wouldn't cut Jello.
Great way to start a day. Every pair in the shop. Dead edges. Grrr.
I was sharpening them so often their life-span was being cut by 2/3.
"Buy your own! Dammit! From this place..."
"But...but...10 pairs is $800.00!"
"Yea? So? What's your point? How much ya charging for a F'n C/F kayak? Figure it out."

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
I have in the past. With my current build, it wouldn't be aesthetically correct to put CF in it. I used it on past auto-x car builds for block off plates on the firewall, dash and even for door panels.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Tommy1234

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There's a member here (loudandproud) who was building a really nice C1500, he hasn't been on in a year or so but here's his build thread.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/rcsb-c1500-full-protouring-chassis-build-twin-turbo-ls-swap.46977/

His YouTube channel (LoudandProud) has got some videos of him working with carbon fiber to build parts for the truck.

https://www.youtube.com/c/LoudandProudBSE/videos
Wowee nice build. I've seen the cross members and those look pretty nice

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've seen the cross members and those look pretty nice

You mean the one on the first page of his thread? IIRC that's a one-off custom build. The thread gets wild around page three, he built his entire frame from scratch.

Tommy1234

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You mean the one on the first page of his thread? IIRC that's a one-off custom build. The thread gets wild around page three, he built his entire frame from scratch.
I've seen it now I'm drooling all over it