Hard starting problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rewind

STEPSIDES ROCK!!!!
Reaction score
The last couple of months I've noticed the trucks been harder to start, mostly in the mornings. I turn the key on, wait for the fuel pump to prime then turn over the engine for a couple of seconds, no hit. Let off turn the key again and she fires up but stumbles but then starts to run fine. This morning was the coldest we've had so far (32°). Same thing happened but it took 4 or 5 times of me cranking with it stumbling but not starting. Finally she cranked, stumbled then started running like normal.

What say you??

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Fuel pump, the check valve in it specifically. My 98 was the same when I bought, now with the new pump it cranks if you barely touch the key.

Rewind

STEPSIDES ROCK!!!!
Reaction score
Got a quote from my shop..........$475 if they provide the pump, $200 if I supply the pump.

Rewind

STEPSIDES ROCK!!!!
Reaction score
That was my next question...........I see several pumps listed, which one do I need for my '98? What's the difference between the pumps?