Groaning steering (lots of creaking while turning wheel) video

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

loosh

Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

88 k3500 Cheyenne 5.7 350 tbi WT

Hopefully that link works

I recently had my passenger side factory cv axle rebuilt. Had to remove sway bar end and tie rod to get it out. Since then I have this horrible groaning/creaking noise when turning. That video is of it with wheels off the ground. Little worse with wheels on the ground. I’ve shook everything by hand, greased all the zerks, and it’s still getting worse. It kinda sounds/feels like it’s originating from pitman or idler arm but hard to tell.

All new as of a year ago- redhead steering gear, Cunningham steering shaft, pro forged tie rods and sleeves, acdelco pitman and idler, and center link.

Any tips on how to proceed and diagnose? Thanks guys

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sounds like one of the ball joints is dry to the point of seizing. It would be easy to drop the tie-rods and check whether it's steering or the upper/lower ball joints. Whatever it is it's definitely seizing and needs replacing before driving again.

loosh

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice! So I took the front end off the ground again and had someone sit and turn the wheels (after I tried to devise a pulley system of bungees that I could pull under the truck that failed)

Felt around for about 10 minutes and finally located where the grinding was located. Turns out, I am an idiot. Missed one zerk fitting on the front of my idler arm. Loaded it up with grease and no more noise.

Next time the tires are off I will check the ball joints. Those are on the long list of things from the factory on this 88 that still need replacing, but gotta prioritize where on that list. Rusty Fuel lines might be first or replacing my rotted unbalanced rims.

Thanks for the help guys!

JDGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fuel, Brake, transmission, and coolant lines should definitely be first on the list if the amount of rust under the truck is GTE the weight of a Chihuahua.