Grill swap, What else???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Agreed. The aftermarket stuff is junk and fits poorly.

Re: the inside bumper brackets - mine still has the OEM 1990 brackets. I did my 1994+ conversion in 1994. My bumper brackets have never been off of the frame and they do not cause any issues.

:hmm: Hmmmm

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
I believe the bowtie for the older grill is smaller than the one on the newer grill

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have swapped to newer grille several times on the 88-93 truck's and I could not get the filler panel to fit right unless I swapped out the inner bumper bracket's to the newer ones, the 94+ bumper sit's out and down slightly compared to the 88-93.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I am not saying it couldn't be squeezed in there. but in order to be right is what I mean.

SixSpeedSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I believe the bowtie for the older grill is smaller than the one on the newer grill

My original Red Bowtie from my 1990 454SS grille is in my father's truck (used to be mine - "Poopy" is it's name) with a 1994+ OEM Chevy grille shell. It did not fit correctly in the aftermarket shell I originally installed.

I have swapped to newer grille several times on the 88-93 truck's and I could not get the filler panel to fit right unless I swapped out the inner bumper bracket's to the newer ones, the 94+ bumper sit's out and down slightly compared to the 88-93.

I am not saying it couldn't be squeezed in there. but in order to be right is what I mean.

Scroll down to item number 9, and the brackets fit either 88-93 or 94+ http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cd/full.aspx?Page=18

I understand what you are saying, but it works just fine without them. Actually it makes the shell fit a little better due to the changes in the core support. The earlier trucks do not have the mounting tabs behind the parking lights IIRC. Again, IIRC the early shell mounted directly to the core support via plastic inserts and the later trucks have a small tab off of the core support. It has been several years since I did one of these swaps. I did it on my 1990 SS, My old 1990 K1500 (Poopy), and another 1990 454SS that a friend had.

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I think I am just gonna wait till I get back and pick up some GM parts out of a yard. I don't want it to fit like garbage.