Grandpa's '94 K1500 Cheyenne

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd add some coverking neosupreme seat covers. I put them in my truck and the material seems pretty tough. Before the covers, I was afraid of damaging the material (where yours is patched) when getting in/out - now I just slide across that area without worry.

Cale N

Reaction score
Very nice. I'm glad to hear you'll keep it stock lol. Keep that beauty maintained and protected. Undercoat the bottom and other mods I could see is maybe stuff the truck didnt original come with. Like upgraded radiator, transcooler, maybe power steering cooler, and whatever else you think. Otherwise big 3 and keep her protected. Shell get many more miles. My baby got 473k and there's always something to replace lol. Yours got plenty of life yet just treat her right and do a multipoint inspection everytime you take her out.

I hadn’t given a ton of thought to the trans-cooler yet but I like the idea. When I swapped in the 350 I got a radiator off of a 1995 Z71 truck with a towing package so the radiator is 2-1/4 in thick (I believe) it also has an engine oil cooler that I added in but that’s all on the same radiator. The truck must’ve been special ordered because it already has the power steering cooler.
Do you have an estimate on what it would cost to mount a separate transmission cooler? And would I have to replace the cooler lines all the way back from the trans?

Cale N

Reaction score
I'd ditch the 4.3 air cleaner & snorkel.

Get one from a 350 truck, the older "barrel" style resonator thing looks better IMO as well, if you want to continue to run one. Otherwise, get a snorkel from a 305 truck which will run from the air cleaner straight to the intake on the fender.

Really nice truck, RC|SB trucks are rare, especially 4x4's. Shame about the automatic though ;)

Haha yeah I wish it was a 5-speed too.. If that 4L60E doesn’t give up for at least 4 years then when I replace it I’m either going to try and swap a 4L80E in or a 5 speed. Funny thing is that I did have a 350 air cleaner on the truck but I had to remove the throttle body to rebuild it right after I put the motor in and I set the stud that holds the air cleaner down somewhere and lost it . So now I’m stuck with that poor little 4.3 cleaner until I find where I put that pesky little bolt.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I hadn’t given a ton of thought to the trans-cooler yet but I like the idea. When I swapped in the 350 I got a radiator off of a 1995 Z71 truck with a towing package so the radiator is 2-1/4 in thick (I believe) it also has an engine oil cooler that I added in but that’s all on the same radiator. The truck must’ve been special ordered because it already has the power steering cooler.
Do you have an estimate on what it would cost to mount a separate transmission cooler? And would I have to replace the cooler lines all the way back from the trans?

I couldn't say, there's not of guys here that buy aftermarket and always make the comment there pricey. My suburban came with an aux trans cooler from the factory. So to answer your question is has the transcooler in the radiator and it goes to the aux transcooler. All factory hook up. I may crawl underneath it to find a leak I got on one of my coolant lines. So I'll see the route gm did. And get back to you.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well heres an update looks like gm has a trans line going to the aux then up to radiator then out to back to trans. Or if I'm backwards. It would be trans line to radiator out down to aux out to return to trans.

Cale N

Reaction score
Well heres an update looks like gm has a trans line going to the aux then up to radiator then out to back to trans. Or if I'm backwards. It would be trans line to radiator out down to aux out to return to trans.
Awesome thanks for the info. I would think that maybe it would be better that it goes to the aux cooler second to avoid heat soak. How much help do you think an extra trans cooler would give the transmission in lasting longer?

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Awesome thanks for the info. I would think that maybe it would be better that it goes to the aux cooler second to avoid heat soak. How much help do you think an extra trans cooler would give the transmission in lasting longer?

Well that depends. Lot of guys dont care for the factory cooler because it doesn't cool enough like bigger after market coolers. However they also tow a lot. So that being said my truck lasted at least 200k miles before the original trans went out. We also rarely tow and we also did not service the trans or change filters. I'm sure if we would of kept it maintained and not drive so hard it would of lasted longer. So if your not big on towing and your missing one. Yes it would help. If you wanna tow quit a bit or drive rough better to get a bigger aftermarket. But if I were you unless you can get a brand new one, i would shoot for aftermarket same size or tad bigger. I guess benefit with oem coolers is they bolt right in lol.