GMT400 TOTM #11 "macro shots" submission thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Most of these photos are actually "depth of field" pictures, nice photos but not truly a macro. I haven't been able to do a true macro since I went digital. The old school way to do a macro was to remove the lens from your SLR camera and turn it around backwards against the camera body. To focus you had to get closer and further from and object until you were able to clearly see the object and then take the picture. Usually you were within an inch from the object. I used to have a killer photo of my finger that was so detailed that when blown up to an 8x10, you could see details that you couldn't see with a naked eye. Sadly, this is the best that I could do...
You must be registered for see images attach

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Good pictures so far guys.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
some one explain this to me... last I knew 'micro' meant very small and 'macro' meant large....

just to clarify the term a little bit, most of the shots here would be classified as 'close up' rather than macro....true macro has to do with the reproduction ratio of the object in reference to the camera sensor, and macro shots should be 1:1 ratio, meaning the lens is projecting the real life full size onto the camera sensor, which is VERY close up and typically requires a special macro lens that can reproduce things at that size. the term 'micro' is actually used interchangeably depending on the brand....for example nikon labels it's macro lenses as 'micro', but the generally accepted term is macro and what most manufacturers use.....this is just nit picking and really doesn't have any bearing to this thread, but that might help clarify what macro means since there is a bit of confusion about it...

for example, here is a true 1:1 macro image (THESE ARE NOT FOR THE CONTEST, JUST FOR AN EXAMPLE OF TRUE MACRO IMAGING):

anyone want to take a guess what it is?

here's a different crop of the same image

its the business end of a fuel injector:

that image was shot with a special macro 1:1 lens

here's another 1:1 macro shot, this spider could fit on a penny in real life, this is taken 1:1 with that same macro lens:

I'll try to grab a real entry image for the contest a little later today and post it up, don't count those pics above as a entry or anything.

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
.....this is just nit picking and really doesn't have any bearing to this thread, but that might help clarify what macro means since there is a bit of confusion about it...

Thanks for clearing that up. But I was not nit-picking. I'm a regular here and already contributed to the photos. I just ask questions when things don't make sense. That's how you learn.

I don't know much about photography and from a casual passer-by, I thought we were taking pictures of small things, haha.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh no, I was talking about ME nit-picking, not you. no offense intended or anything.

I meant that I was nit-picking with the technical stuff since it really doesn't matter for the thread if people aren't posting 'true macro' images, since we're a truck forum, not a photography forum.

I'm always open to helping people improve and learn stuff. I hope my explanation made some sense.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's my entry for the TOTM stuff unless I can think of something more interesting.

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
AHHH, okay, haha- sorry about that. I'm the guy who initially brought it up so I thought you were talking about me .... :gr_grin:

Cool spider pic by the way. Was it squished shortly afterwards? haha