GMT 800 turbo kit for a Gmt400 help please!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let me clarify my position. In my (admittedly limited) experience and what I've learned over the years from watching other people go about this, when you put together a kit yourself you invariably end up forgetting about a few things, or buying things you don't need, or having components which don't fit with each other. When you add in the time and money wasted in trips to the store for little piddly ****, or rebuying items which didn't work, it's better to research and buy a solid kit. The old adage "pay once and cry once" definitely applies here. All kits are not created equal, and more money doesn't necessarily mean better quality, but outstanding customer service is absolutely worth paying for. Both the Mercedes and Hayabusa tuning worlds (my areas of experience) are littered with guys who promised the world and failed to deliver, I assume this one is no different. Personally, I prefer to do business with someone who will pick up the phone or answer my emails even after they have my money.
Look on the web for reviews, but remember: listen to the chorus not the soloist....

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
You could try to buy the turbo exhaust manifold and fabricate everything else, maybe the crossover pipe would work but you have to check frame clearance. One thing I liked about trick turbo is the downpipe is made so you can use a high rise AC compressor.

Poondart

Reaction score
Well dang, I was hoping to run into more gmt400 folks who have actually put a turbo on their trucks.
Again thanks for all the info and suggestions to those who commented.

they did all the R&D work, the manufacturing, stock advertising and sales. If someone wants a plug and play kit.....It’s not gonna be cheap.

how much time and money is it going to cost for you to fabricate a kit? Just to buy the kit is gonna run 2k. Then you need to modify the hell out of it to make it work

Well, I understand some cost increase. Just not as much cost increase as this particular shop is adding on. There are many other reputable shops offering twin turbo kits for the gmt800 for cheaper (around $4000)than this one single turbo kit for a gmt400. It surly isn’t that much harder or more labor intensive to put a turbo on a 99 gmt800 than it is on a 98 gmt400(with a LS swap). There isn’t a whole lot of difference between the 2. When I can find kits from $1000-$2800 for the gmt800, I would expect to be able to find the same kits for the gmt400(with LS swaps). The only differences would be Intercooler mounting and slight changes in how hot and cold pipes are run. Like adding a bend or section of piping. Not really that difficult or time consuming to do. Which is why I have decided to do it myself.
I have calculated a cost of around $1500-$2500(depending on name brands)for all the parts I might need. I will not be purchasing a kit from anyone, besides maybe a intercooler piping kit(they are pretty cheap) Then add in my own blood, sweat, tears, and of course some welding burns. In the long run I will feel much better knowing I accomplished this work with my own hands. And of course will have saved quite a bit of money.
Thank you for your input regardless, I do sincerely appreciate any and all comments and suggestions I have received.

You could try to buy the turbo exhaust manifold and fabricate everything else, maybe the crossover pipe would work but you have to check frame clearance. One thing I liked about trick turbo is the downpipe is made so you can use a high rise AC compressor.

Thanks for the link. Good info And products for sure, just a tad bit too spendy for my liking. I am thinking I will piece together most of parts needed and fabricate my own manifolds and hot side piping. It’s just going to take me much longer to get it all together and fabbed up, since I will have to use a buddies shop and tools on the weekends. I am also going to delete the AC, since I live in Alaska and really have never used it.

No? IIRC you just flip the moints to move the AC back, keep the radiator where it is, and shove an IC in front. My friend did it and it doesn't look all janky. I'd even be inclined to do it that way with W2A to fit a decent sized heat exchanger up front. Having had a crappy W2A in the past, I'd engineer it much more aggressively were I to use it again in the future.

I believe I will be taking your advice here, and deleting as much as possible from the core support. While also relocating the trans cooler. I actually love how hood pins look. After doing some measuring it looks like I will be able to fit any size intercooler and piping I want with these mods. Although I am only looking to hit maybe 700whp max with my build. Which by today’s standards is child’s play(according to serious turbo guys, if you aren’t pushing 1k you are weak). I am looking to daily drive at around 8-10psi of boost, which should put me somewhere around 500-600whp depending on which turbo and upgrades to the motor I do.
Thanks for the suggestion and info!