GM Crate Install - runs a few minutes then dies

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jproctor

Reaction score
I would appreciate any help. I installed a new 5.7 GM replacement engine in my son's 90 Silverado. The previous engine ran but smoked when it started...and had 285K miles. My son is attending college out of state...so, this was the last of our "restoration" efforts on the pickup.

I measured the #1 piston for TDC and it fired up on the first try. I set the timing to 0 degrees, killed it then restarted it the next day to break-in the cam -- running it for 30 minutes at 2,250 RPM. It idled rough but ran smooth during break-in. When we were done, I dialed in the timing at precisely 0 degrees and was letting it idle getting ready to put 30mi. on it before the initial oil change. We turned it off, cleaned the boxes/parts out of the bed and had lunch. When we went back out to leave, it was idling okay and after a couple of minutes just died....as if I had turned the key to "OFF".

I fiddled w/ the timing (2 degrees, then 4 and back to 0). The pickup is hard to start. If it starts it still dies shortly afterward. I can remove the battery cables and restart after clearing the code (see below)... it will idle rough then die soon thereafter.

When installing the new engine, we replaced the distributor w/ a ACDelco reman along w/ ACDelco cap, wires, plugs, coil, MAP, Knock Sensor, PCV valve, fuel pump and assembly, fuel filter and TBI rebuild. I also replaced the IAC w/ a ACDelco but it started making a ticking noise when the engine was not running. I took it out and the end and spring shot off. So, I put the (1yr. old) OReilly IAC back in and it runs but then dies after a few minutes. ACDelco sent the wrong CTS, so I reinstalled the one that was on the previous engine (1yr ago). I did not replace the EGR.

The only code it has shown was Code 42. I don't have a OBD1 scanner...I just "jumped" the OBD terminals. I have read all about Code 42. I tried to troubleshoot w/ a Ohm meter and test light for the bypass voltage condition. Sorry, but I just got a bit confused in the process. I really don't think I have a bad ECM or connections. The previous engine ran fine before we replaced the engine.

I have pulled all my grounds, cleaned them once and AGAIN and no change--- to be sure:
- two on passenger firewall -- one to the rear cylinder head/block, the other to the frame,
-the grounds on the front of the intake on pass side.... two from the harness along w/ the large battery negative
- alternator ground on front intake on driver side
-small battery ground to passenger fender

I have also traced wires and cannot find any potential culprits.

I did read some reviews from the vendor selling the ACDelco reman distributor that a few had received the product and had to immediately replace the ICM. Could this be the culprit?

I would appreciate any help. Thanks in advance!

jproctor

Reaction score
While I was at work, I had my son take the original 25 yr. old ICM from his original distributor and replace the reman ACDelco distributor's ICM. The pickup fired right up and idled okay...but rough. We took it around the block. It doesn't have any power. The timing is still at 0 degrees w/ the wire unhooked. It fluctuates when idling but generally settles at about 20-24 degrees once I reconnect the wire.

Let me know if you have any ideas for the stumble and rough idle. I am going to verify the plug wiring order. The Delco plugs are gapped at 35. Unfortunately, I don't have any way to check fuel pressure for the new fuel pump.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
you might open up that gap to .045 and see if it helps.

jproctor

Reaction score
you still throwing code 42?
No, the new ICM corrected that issue. It isn't showing any codes now.

When we did the cam break-in, the engine kept trying to overheat. I pulled the thermostat so we could run it continuously. I'll reinstall it tonight. It has a fairly new radiator and of course, a new water pump. The thermostat and the CTS correctly working together may help the idle some but it has a noticeable miss. I ran the previous engine once w/out a thermostat...it ran fine until I could reinstall it.

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
its hard to diagnose from a computer, you got any video of it running?