Getting water coming in the rear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle: 1999 Tahoe
Issue: water coming into the back somehwere

So I've confirmed that all my weather stripping in the back (barn door truck) is in good shape and even replaced the major weather stripping around the large opening. It's all good. I've even double checked around the windows.

With that said, I'm still getting water in the rear. Is it possible that the water is coming in through the holes in the floor where the hooks are bolted into the floor? I'm thinking that I'm gonna silicone those and reseal them but wasn't sure if there is another possibility of where water could be coming in that I'm missing.

Thanks in advance for the knowledge share.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
More than likely failed window adhesive on the side windows. OR maybe failed gasket at the CHMSL (3rd brake light.)

Probably a big pain in the ass but I'd suggest maybe pulling the interior panels around the side windows and do the ol' water hose and a helper routine. If a leak is found, pay a glass shop to remove and reinstall, you don't want to do a DIY job here, IMO.

Richard

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a similar problem on my burb, checked all the gaskets, siliconed the 3rd brake light even the roof rack but still leaked. Ended up being the rear driver side glass.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
:hmm: thanks for the tips guys. I will take another look at the side windows. I've got the rear partially torn apart anyway because I'm in the process of ripping the carpet out and getting ready for new carpet but was holding off until this leak issue is resolved and I'm glad I did because I was certain that weather stripping I replaced around the large opening of the cargo doors was the culprit. I would have been pretty upset if I'd laid carpet and it got wet with the issue not resolved lol

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welp, it's been cofirmed that BOTH rear windows are leaking :lol: Looks like I know what the next item on my list is before I do anything else! #facepalm

Thanks for the insight guys!

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Glad you were able to figure it out quickly before it does any more damage. Will cost you a few bucks to have them re-set but worth it to get it done right, by a professional glass shop. Those windows being properly glued in are part of the structural rigidity of your vehicle...its crush resistance in a crash. Same as your windshield.

Richard

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Glad you were able to figure it out quickly before it does any more damage. Will cost you a few bucks to have them re-set but worth it to get it done right, by a professional glass shop. Those windows being properly glued in are part of the structural rigidity of your vehicle...its crush resistance in a crash. Same as your windshield.

Richard
Good to know!

I'll be calling around today to see if I can't get an appointment this week.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Up here now getting the seals replaced.

You must be registered for see images attach

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Installer just told me he doesn’t see where the old seal was bad :think: now I’m a little worried lol