Getting rid of HIDs, keeping High 4, adding LED pods?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

-sin-

Honor the Fallen
Reaction score
Hey all, I've been wanting to get rid of my HIDs (in my high beams) for a bit now, going back to stock bulbs. But I am going to keep the High-4 mod and was wondering if I could wire some LED pods up to my high beam switch as well?

Everything is wired through relays and a Blue Sea fuse block, it'd just make it more convenient to click on the high beam switch and have everything work as one.

Thoughts..? Thanks

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma

-sin-

Honor the Fallen
Reaction score
Thanks, I saved your link and appreciate the idea, maybe in the future I will go that direction.

But I really want reduce my wiring up front, I've got my HIDs, Quad-4's, Aux Fan, Reverse Lights and various wiring for my CB/PA/etc, all on relays and in a distribution fuse block.

I am thinking about doing some Phillips H1R1 9011's in my Highs as well as my lows..

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Keep in mind that HIRs have no glare shield on the bulbs, so putting them in your low beams can be irritating to oncoming traffic. I'd stick with factory halogens personally.

EDIT - To answer your original question about wiring in the LED pods... As long as you use the high beam wire as the trigger on a designated relay for the pods then I see no reason your plan shouldn't work. Just don't pull the power for them straight off of the high beam circuit.

-sin-

Honor the Fallen
Reaction score
Keep in mind that HIRs have no glare shield on the bulbs, so putting them in your low beams can be irritating to oncoming traffic. I'd stick with factory halogens personally.

Since owning Silverados I've always modified the low beam bulbs to high bulbs.
this: http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Upgrade/More_light.htm

And they are always aimed properly

And thanks for the comment! I relay everything!

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Thanks, I saved your link and appreciate the idea, maybe in the future I will go that direction.

But I really want reduce my wiring up front, I've got my HIDs, Quad-4's, Aux Fan, Reverse Lights and various wiring for my CB/PA/etc, all on relays and in a distribution fuse block.

I am thinking about doing some Phillips H1R1 9011's in my Highs as well as my lows..
These are plug and play FWIW. They have a small controller box (similar to a HID ballast) and everything plugs right in to your factory highbeam plug.

-sin-

Honor the Fallen
Reaction score
These are plug and play FWIW. They have a small controller box (similar to a HID ballast) and everything plugs right in to your factory highbeam plug.

Do they still involve a relay set up, or just plug directly into the factory wiring?