Gauge reads 260 help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MDYLANP

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My truck had overheated a couple months ago due to a blow radiator and I changed the water pump while I was there too. So my gauge reads 260 degrees well about 257 degrees when out normally driving. But the truck isn't overheating. It acts normally as if it were reading the normal 190ish, just is buried over at 260. It will go past 260 if it is truly overheating (heater hose leak). I've changed thermostat and all the sensors I can find. Hoping someone can offer some help.
95 k1500
You must be registered for see images attach

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Where did you get the water pump? Are you certain it is has the correct rotation impeller? The impeller could be spinning on the shaft even.

If the thermostat is not stuck, and you are certain all of the air is out of the system, then the water pump would be the next suspect, since it did not do that prior. ( as I am assuming here )

If you have access to a non contact temperature gun, just confirm that the engine is at operating temperature and not actually 260. It could even be the gauge itself acting up.

MDYLANP

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got the water pump at oriellys and it's working fine. The system is completely full of coolant and I've been driving with the gauge reading 260 for almost a year. And the temp laser was reading about 140 after we let her warm up for a while and the gauge was showing 215ish. I just discovered the forum a couple weeks ago is why I ask now. I really believe it's the gauge. But I still have no clue how to fix that.

MDYLANP

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Basically the truck overheated really quickly and the gauge went way past 260 and I immediately whipped into a parking lot and got some water and blah blah blah. Fixed the radiator and water pump and new thermostat. Ever since then, gauge reads 257.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Swap out the gauge cluster? Might be a problem with just the temp portion... I haven't opened one up to see if they can be changed easily or not.

MDYLANP

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe it's just the gauge. I wasn't sure if there was a similar fix the fluttering gas gauge or something. Because like I said, it acts normally. It shows temperature changes and everything. It just so happens to read 260 all the time. I was hoping someone else could have had the same problem.

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
have you tried replacing the temp sensor for the gauge? May have been damaged during the overheat.

MDYLANP

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I changed the temp sensor that goes in the side of the block and the other one that is on top of the motor. I forget exactly where it is but both have been changed. I haven't tried the sending unit. I dont even know where that's at. Do you have a part number for it?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
There's no temp sender in the side of the block. The sender for the gauge is in the driver's side head, between the #1 and #3 plugs.

Richard