GA HOT! Won't start, cuts out due to heat- but when cool it starts/run- 1990 454SS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spistols

Reaction score
My 1990 454SS has this problem only in the hot heat of summer. When running for long periods of time in the afternoon, sometimes it just cuts out, and sometimes when turned off, it won't start. When it cools down, it starts.

This happened last summer, and I replaced a lot of the ignition components. What I didn't do is put a heat shield on the starter, but the cutting out during driving does not relate to the starter.

Any ideas of how to cool down vital ignition parts?

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you certain that the problem is in the ignition system? Lots of possibilities, including the fuel pump and fuel pump relay. Have a spark tester handy the next time you drive it and check for spark after it dies. Fuel pressure gauge would be nice too, but that requires a bit of plumbing for TBI setups. Best thing to do is to pull the air cleaner and check for fuel at the injectors while somebody spins the engine. That will at least give you a go/no go on the fuel pump.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

spistols

Reaction score
Thanks, but when it doesn't start, it doesn't even crank. As if it has a dead battery, but the power accessories work.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you need to break out the multimeter and check voltage drops across your power and ground cables, particularly the ground to the block. The ignition switch itself is another possibility.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk