Further Information on HID, LED, and even Halogen Headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMC Burbalade

Busy slacking
Reaction score
Without a doubt. Always a good idea to check it even if you get a truck that's still got stock lights. A misaligned headlight wastes light that could be put to good use where you need it and it's an easy fix.

camoburban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So what housings and what bulbs would you recommend for a brighter clearer light output? I'm in the market for some new lights and blinkers. Im leaning towards the clear everything. And wondering about the projector ones also.

GMC Burbalade

Busy slacking
Reaction score
For the best output without being overly bright I'd recommend clear lens housings with a projector retrofit, preferably Bixenon and 35w 4300k HIDs. If your truck is stock height and you don't live in an area where hills and speed bumps are common place, then maybe 55w.

If you want projectors, steer clear of the ebay projector housings. Any of the clear lens reflector housings available on ebay or elsewhere should work fine to retrofit your own projectors into but the ebay projector housings have a terrible pattern from every account I've heard.

Retrofit Source I linked to in the first post has tons of info on the process and they sell most everything needed but the housings. You do NOT want to retrofit projectors in stock housings since they have a cut lens. IIRC someone had found similar OEM replacement projectors for around 1/3 the price on Amazon but I don't recall if anyone ended up getting a set to see how they are. With TRS you know you're getting the real thing and not a cheap knockoff with poor optics.

If you're on a budget, you can try HIDs in similar aftermarket reflector housings and skip the projectors for now. The ebay housings are hit or miss. Mine work well but I've seen people that have ebay housings that look the exact same but have no cut off at all. I really wish I could direct to one I know works but the seller I got mine from stopped selling them last I checked. The biggest thing is to make sure the bulb is seated correctly and align the headlights when you're done. Park 10-20 ft from a wall and it should be obvious if the housings work well or not.