Funeral notice. Dead 4.3! Going V8. What's next?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Appreciate the all info.
I know about those MF'n engine mounts. Had to do the pass.side. And not that long ago, either! Didn't know about dropping the coil springs 'till after we'd cut a hole in the frame to get at that ONE(!) bolt, then welded up the hole after the job was done! (Whatdyamean "how'd we do that without dropping the coil?" Uh...we were supposed to the coil? Damn!)
I think the exhaust will work as it is. New y-pipe re-routed, & tucked up in front of the oil pan. 3" exhaust from there back. Built with intention of a V8 in front of it. (You mean I can buy a pre-made Y-pipe just like this? Damn! X2!) I figure this because the exhaust kit part #'s were the same for the 5.3/5.7 as the 4.3, when I was shopping for an exhaust kit. Will shorty headers bolt up without exhaust mods?
The truck is due for a rad. It's the original. But it's worked great up until now. Which is why I was concerned when it spiked the other night. I have an auxiliary cooler, already.
I figured that the hoses will have to be changed. Cheap enough.
I've been through the wrong shroud thing before with other vehicles. I WILL need the right one.
Aren't the clutch fans on these kinda generic? One size fits all?
I'm hoping the AC stuff will be copacetic. Again, one size fits all?
Seeing as the 4.3 is just an 8, with the front two cylinders cut off.
The throttle cable I'll buy new. Broken ones aren't fun. Been there. Scary when it breaks @ WOT!
Again, 4.3=cut up V8, so the PS hoses may (MAY) work.
I will definitely re-gasket the engine, along with a new oil pump.
I'm gonna see if I can take some pix of a 5.7 in a GMT400. Should tell me a bunch.
Can I use my after market CAI, if I use the MAF sensor for the new (to me) engine?
Any opinions on the Torque Converter?
The wiring harness for the engine & tranny are sistered permanently together?
Or can they be separated? Or is it just easier to change the whole harness?
If I can find a 5.7 with a 4L80e, then, I will need the whole harness. Probably get a couple of hundred or so for 4L60e that's in it now.
Any camshaft suggestions? Something that I can live with on a daily basis? Remember, I drove a high-horse BBC/4 spd. as a DD, 8mo.s of the year, for 7 years! I could handle what many would think is a bit too much. I just don't want to get into crazy (read $$$ expensive) engine mods, just to sound rumpityrumpity cool at the Friday night cruise-in. Something with good mid-range grunt, so I'll be able to hammer out of the twisties that it enters into so well, now. I have 3.73's with an auburn posi. New, new, new! It'll handle a whole bunch of power & abuse.
I'll be doing most of the heavy grunt work, with a good bunch of friends to help with the finesse stuff. I can handle a wrench fairly competently, but by no means am I a 'mechanic'. I can do this stuff only because of necessity, & general cheapness. I just can't see paying someone to do something I'm perfectly capable doing myself. Although, not as fast as a pro.
Damn! I'm getting happy feet just thinking about this.

Last edited:

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mmmm...6.0! Walk softly, & carry a BIG MF'n stick! Haven't ruled that out.

i say go 5.3 or 6.0.. more bang for you buck!! plus with all bolt on parts you will be 100hp+ over the SB vortec.. the stock 5.3/6.0 exhaust manafold will work in your truck if you want to save some money. you converter will work also you just need the right flywheel 1999 to 2002 4.8 and some 6.0 have them. the upper and lower rad. hoses are 99 truck. cold air intake 2003 h2 hummer. motor mounts are part#4572. the harness you mite have to get from down here in tx. i can hook you up with the number if want thats up to you. they can even seen the PCM already done to any mods you have. you just have to let them know.

now the fun part find a motor. if you want the best LS motor that $$$ freindly find a LQ9 there a flat top piston motor and 365hp stock and with a nice cam and a few other stuff ive see 480hp easy!!!

oh you need a F-body oil pan pick up and windage tray also.

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
here something to help make your mind up lol mine is done going in this week end..

You must be registered for see images attach

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
So that's a 6.0? Which is the LQ9? Very nice!
Which vehicles did these come in? If more than one, what are the identifiing characteristics ? Specific casting or part numbers?
Like I said, not much experience with the computer motors, so how do I identify a 4.8, from a 5.3, 5.7, or a 6.0
So... an easy 450(+) hp, and it'll idle like Mom's Linc. T-car? (Stealth mode!) We have emission sniff tests every two years on all gas vehicles. A motor like this should be able pass, as it doesn't take a whole lot of mods even to get to the mid. 400 horsepower range. Agree?
The harness you mentioned is a custom one?
I would have to send the PCM that comes with the engine to Tx? Not a prob. Just want to be clear. Obviously they adjust for gear changes, tire size diff. etc., but is this based on the 411 swap being done before sending, or, can it be done after?
A windage tray. Like that!

The exhaust is 2.25" off the manifolds to the 'Y', 3" to the rear, from there.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
This is depressing. How much do you think this is going to cost?

Depressing from an initial point of view. Not quite 'loosing a family member' depressing, but I put 150,000 miles on it in 6 years, so I pretty well knew what it could & couldn't do. Even still, it was frustrating when the stock 4 & 6 cylinder Euro & ***-crap could hand it it's ass without breaking a sweat. Time for this thing to run as it looks, & to quit being a poseur.
And as much as I ran the bag off it, I did take pretty good care of it with regular tune-ups & oil changes.
The depression is gonna be short lived. A new lease on life is just around the corner. Stonger, faster, better than before. We have the technology! It's been a long time since I had a vehicle that I have to respect in order not to get bit by it.
Due to family & kids, for a bunch of years, I owned 'practical' utility droids. Always had a truck, though.
This is not a mid-life crisis. Never really grew up to begin with. Ask the 'ex'!
As far as costs? The engine will be the most $$$, but I haven't found one, yet. After that, just bits & pieces that I can spread the cost out over a few months. When I find what I'm looking for, I'll let you guys know, & how much this is gonna be.

Last edited:

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Thanks! Good to know. What vehicles did they come in? I.D. differences?

Just took a minute to think. That will be in the glovebox build list! Doh!

Last edited:

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As far as I know, the LQ9 was in Denalis and Escalades. The newer 6.2 in the Escalades and Denalis is a 6.2 with about 420 horses :D That would be fun!!!