Funeral notice. Dead 4.3! Going V8. What's next?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you can get the LQ4 also out of a HD2500 there a ton of those and cheap.. but if i was to do the LQ4 i would find a set of L92 heads and LS3 intake nice cam headers and if tuned right it should make around 500hp to the flywheel. but if you just want a nice fun motor i would do the LQ9 motor. you can leave it stock with a tune headers and still make ALOT more power then a nice built 5.7.. pluse the gas mileage will be alot better.

are yall on a sniff sniff test or do they plug into your OBD2 and do the test? 96 and up down here they do the plug in text thats it. but 95 down they do the rear wheel dyno sniff test.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
A tailpipe sniff, with the dyno. They see my truck come in & ask who did the majority of the mods. When I tell them I do, I get shuffled away from the truck & told to 'sit here'. In another room far away from the truck or the guy doing the test. Makes me a little anxious & frustrated. Just what the hell is so secretive? This MY truck, dammit! It's out of sight, it's running, & someone I don't know is messing with it!

The more that you talk about the the LQ9, the more I'm convinced that that is the way to go. I really (REALLY) like horsepower, but, I have the trip of a lifetime planned for the spring/summer/fall of 2013,(& that's not either/or/or. I'm talking 5 months of 'gone'!) I'm planning on doing this, with this truck, so mileage will be somewhat important.

flyboy1294

Pro basket weaver
Reaction score
How much more complicated would it put to install the LQ9 in my OBS with the NV3500 transmission and 4x4?

I have read threads in depth on Ls1tech and LS1Truck.com, however, I have yet to see a 6.0 swap with a manual transmission and a front transfer case.

If it is possible, I think I will sell some of my toys this summer and upgrade the OBS. :nono:

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How much more complicated would it put to install the LQ9 in my OBS with the NV3500 transmission and 4x4?

I have read threads in depth on Ls1tech and LS1Truck.com, however, I have yet to see a 6.0 swap with a manual transmission and a front transfer case.

If it is possible, I think I will sell some of my toys this summer and upgrade the OBS. :nono:

its really that hard o was going to use my NV3500 but changed my mind. i got a 3600 stall being built as we speak. i will pick it up friday. so the motor is going in this weekend.

the LS motor get alot better MPG then the old vortecs. pluse the aftermarket is full fun go fast fun stuff lol... by doing the 6.0 LQ9 or LQ4 i would still get a heat of L92 heads and and nice cam to go with it. you can go to LS1tech can find them from $700 on up. the intake can be gotten on ebay or the same web site i just said. there saying now that the truck intake is almost as good as the car LS3.

but i cant say this enough.... LS motors can make power with just bolt on parts. now with a mild nad i say mild oort job, my motor guy said they have see close to 45hp gain with the matching cam.

so boss pick your poision lol and like i sais call me i will help as mush as i can down here for you.

Playare

Enter Custom User Title:
Reaction score
Depressing from an initial point of view. Not quite 'loosing a family member' depressing, but I put 150,000 miles on it in 6 years, so I pretty well knew what it could & couldn't do. Even still, it was frustrating when the stock 4 & 6 cylinder Euro & ***-crap could hand it it's ass without breaking a sweat. Time for this thing to run as it looks, & to quit being a poseur.
And as much as I ran the bag off it, I did take pretty good care of it with regular tune-ups & oil changes.
The depression is gonna be short lived. A new lease on life is just around the corner. Stonger, faster, better than before. We have the technology! It's been a long time since I had a vehicle that I have to respect in order not to get bit by it.
Due to family & kids, for a bunch of years, I owned 'practical' utility droids. Always had a truck, though.
This is not a mid-life crisis. Never really grew up to begin with. Ask the 'ex'!
As far as costs? The engine will be the most $$$, but I haven't found one, yet. After that, just bits & pieces that I can spread the cost out over a few months. When I find what I'm looking for, I'll let you guys know, & how much this is gonna be.

That was deep man. I hope to one day swap a larger motor into my truck as well.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Thanks! & to think the wife said I was shallow. Some of the most enduring relationships I've had were with things mechanical.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What about fuel pump? I'm sure the 5.7 needs moar but who knows...This is exactly what this truck of yours needs and your lucky your staying in the same generation but going to the bigger motor but I guess it's still just as much of a ***** on the electrical side good thing is that esky cluster will work perfect now too and probably save some pita wiring compared to if you kept your old one.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I bought the Esky cluster 'cause I knew that sooner or later I was going to do a transplant. Just couldn't wait to put it in. Didn't know that the 6 would mess with the tach. Seems to me that I predicted that the 4.3 would die sooner than I hoped. Should learn to keep my mouth shut!
If I remember right, all the engines 6.0 & smaller use the same pump. I could be wrong. If anything, an auxillary in-line should help to increase the fuel pressure.
And I hate electrical stuff. If it's mechanical, & it's broke, you can see it, hear it, or feel it. If it's electrical, & it's broke, it just doesn't work! I understand the principal. I just don't have the patience. And yet, people tell me that I must have tremendous patience to be able to do what I do. Wierd.