Fuel tank Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris Rogers

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
where is the tank pressure sender in a 98 truck? looking to swap out a full interior into my 88 and one of the things I cannot to find info on is this sensor.

is it part of the pump assembly?

separate item that involves a tank swap?

trying to work out how much of the truck to grab?

end game is to have a fully functional DIC in place and all the features of a 98/99 GMT400 in the 88.

(before someone says buy a 98/99 - import rules here wont let me.)

:)

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
On a pickup, IF equipped, it will be on the sender. It's the device that sort of looks like a Vortec-era MAP sensor fitted directly into the top hat of the sender. (see black device on the pic)

To get that kind of sender setup though you'll need to change the tank, as the mouth for the sender changed. On pickups, this happened about mid-1997 with the change from the "open" sender/pump setup like your '88 already has - uses a lock ring that you tap around with a hammer and brass drift, to the integrated style which everything sits inside a plastic cannister and is held into the tank by a large snap ring. Then you discover your fuel lines won't attach anymore, because that sender uses quick-connect fuel lines.

You must be registered for see images attach

Honestly I don't believe many of the pickups utilitized the tank pressure sensor but I could be wrong. The few later model trucks I've had where the sender had the sensor, there was no connection for it in the harness. And unless there's some function of the DIC I'm unaware of, it will be totally unrelated anyway. The tank pressure sensor is part of the emissions controls.

Richard

Chris Rogers

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thanks!! I figured it would not be straight forward. lots of changes I am finding over the 10 yr run of these trucks.

can anyone point one point me to a wiring diagram for the later truck only or is a tahoe one the same? (I have the 99 tahoe one)

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
OK, well in your first post you said "truck" - a Tahoe is different; at least one of the ones I've seen has the tank pressure sensor mounted directly into the tank itself. Year and model - 2 door vs. 4 door - may make a difference since they don't use the same tank at all. Wiring will of course be different.. again though, still not sure how this matters in terms of your swap.

Richard

Chris Rogers

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok I will explain what I am doing. I already own a 88 model SWB stepside.

the interior is dated and up for replacement. I live in Australia and anything built after 1989 HAS to be converted to right hand drive - this one does not. it can stay LHD and be driven that way (I am going to put a sign on the rear window anyway stating the obvious.)

the truck is a runner at present.

what I want to do is drop a 2000 cad escalade (literal) from the front doors forward. so seating,center console,dash electrics and interior and exterior panels. Drop the 350 center bolt TBI out or mine and fit the 5.7 vortec (and later a LS1) and matching trans (in 2wd) to it. basically anything that is in that donor will be in this truck.

The only change to it will be the dash as I want a single air bag and not two of them (that side of things I can get around) so I will be using a 95/96 dash.

I want the later DIC to run in the overhead console. in my reading on this forum I need a truck/SUV later than 98 to do it as the fuel gauge was not looped into the engine management until then (hence the 2k esky as that has what I want)

the wiring diagrams come into play when I started researching this and found an extra sensor that was not on the earlier truck/SUV and thus posed the question of the tanks being different (which I now know they are.).

I would like to find a full set of diagrams for the truck version if possible. as I said I found the 99 tahoe ones and from what I can see (and remember given I left the USA in 97) they are similar to the truck of the same year.

I need to pass emissons here so anything that has to do with it that has to stay.

does it make a bit more sense now?

what tank do I need for this truck, assumption says I need the same type of truck but in a 97/98 build to get the right hardware. is my thinking correct?

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Just the difference between TBI and Vortec engines is enough, as well as the transmission, that you should just go ahead and bring over the entire harness from the Escalade and hack it as needed to remove unnecessary items like the rear door stuff. This will also make your dash swap go much easier. Also pretty much rules out any other hacking you'd need to do to the harness, so a diagram becomes irrelevant. You'll need a mid-1997 or later truck fuel tank, sender, and you'll have to replace or convert the lines somehow.

Don't ditch that early power window stuff. Someone will want it - not very common to find.

Richard

Chris Rogers

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thanks for the tips :)

early gear I will sell off with body harness to suit. from memory if the truck wasnt spec'd with it the option was not there (been 18 yrs since I have worked on one of these trucks properly!!) so the harness will be required anyway.

full harness swap was the idea for this truck. lose whatever fell behind the front doors unless is was body control related (from memory most of that was dash bound anyway.) and carry ANYTHING from the doors forward over to the truck.

fuel lines I can get made locally. getting all the parts for this swap is where I am at right now. Escalade is easy. buy a wrecked one with a rear hit. that gives me everything.

are the tanks the same between LWB ex cab and SWB ( assuming placement is the only differece in the body.) frames?

only hang up I can see with this swap will be the ABS system. the SUV is 4wd and the speed sensors will be tied to those hubs in some way. so it looks like I will need the 2wd version of those too.