Fuel supply line question...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MouthForWar

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, I'm going to have to replace my front fuel supply line on my '92 5.7L K1500, as I've got a pretty bad bend/kink/pinch in it about 8" back from the connector for the injection pod. (Don't ask, I accidentally bent the heck out of it doing stuff because I'm an idiot.) It's about a 50% kink, so I'm pretty worried about flow even though the TBIs don't carry a lot of pressure.

Anyway, for some reason, AllData is telling me it's over a 6-hour job for the front supply line for the auto transmission. It can't possibly be that big of a pain, can it? From what I recall from when I was under there last, it unscrews from the filter, runs through a couple of clips/retainers, and up into the engine bay. What am I missing that would make it a 6-hour job?

I just don't want to tackle something above my pay grade or patience. Has anybody else replaced just the front portion of that supply line? Are there any hangups/things I should account for?

Black_cirrus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've done plenty of fuel lines but not a GMT 400. I can't see 3 hours let alone 6 unless the parts they list time for involve dropping the fuel tank.

MouthForWar

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's what I thought...and that (the tank) is a non-factor since I'm not replacing the line all the way to the tank. Just from the filter to the injector pod. Seems like it would take an hour max, and that's if the retainers are a pain (looks like the retainer bolt just below the firewall...might be on the bell housing...might be a pain to get to, I suppose). Huh.

MouthForWar

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea, just checked. Connector to the fuel filter, two retainers that the line just pops out of, and a retainer bolt on the bell housing. That's it.

I have come to the conclusion that I want some of what AllData is smoking. Haha.

Black_cirrus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm wondering if the time is for a line set. Maybe the only way GM serviced the lines.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Individually or as the pair, it's not a 6 hour job...unless you're dealing with rusty up North fuel lines and everything falls apart where they join the frame rail lines to/from the sender.

That retaining clip for both of them at the bellhousing stud can be a pain in the ass reach-wise, but it's still less than half what they're quoting.

Richard

MouthForWar

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright guys, went ahead and got 'er pulled tonight. Took about an hour, but only because that retaining bolt was seized as **** and I couldn't get any leverage on it because of the location. Had to some ridiculous finagling with a variety of extensions and adapters to get to a point where I could actually use some force. Haha. Installation should be a cakewalk though, maybe 15 minutes tops.

Thanks for the affirmation before I delved into it, y'all.

You must be registered for see images attach