fuel problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kidd666

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok so my brother truck died on him about a week ago. Towed ot home and he's not getting fuel to the motor. Had to replace the cap and rotor, also got new fuel pump relay. Pulled the gas line going into the fuel filter and he's getting gas in so pulled the one after the filter and still have gas. Put a pressure tester on the fuel line by the motor and he's got 20lbs of pressure. Put the fuel in the intake and it fires right up. So what could be the problem? I'm thinking injectors but idk where they are at or how to replace and want to get advice before we dump 300 on a new injector system

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What year?

My guess is since you said you cannot see the injectors you have 96+ vortec. If so, 20lbs is nowhere near enough pressure to get the injectors to fire. New fuel pressure regulator or pump is in order.

addiction2bass

junkyard junkie
Reaction score
if ya replace fuel pump be sure to buy OEM DELPHI pump! dont cheap out unless you want to change the pump again in 13months right after the warrenty expires ;)
my truck did on me driving down interstate afew years ago. my fuel pump still made alittle noise but i changed it anyways and been running great ever since! the fuel pump is very normal to go out on these trucks for some reason. mine was straight up out the blue just BLAAAAA dead.

kidd666

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah its a 97 tahoe. and the pump still does make noise but thats good to know about the presure

addiction2bass

junkyard junkie
Reaction score
Probably the fuel pump then. Its not to hard to change. Pulling the bed off is the easiest way to access the pump! It doesn't sound like it but it really is! It gives ya plenty of space to get to fuel lines and ya don't have to drain the tank as well.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably the fuel pump then. Its not to hard to change. Pulling the bed off is the easiest way to access the pump! It doesn't sound like it but it really is! It gives ya plenty of space to get to fuel lines and ya don't have to drain the tank as well.

No bed to pull on a hoe.......:deal: he will have to drop the tank.

JonZ71

Right Meow
Reaction score
ive always dropped the tank even in my truck. it's just easier for me i guess haha

kidd666

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah knew we would have to drop it after we get some gas out of it. its got 3/4 tank init. looks pritty easy tho two straps on it and its lose.