Frustrated - Need Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RmeSGT

Reaction score
1993 K1500, 5.7, 4L60e. Burned up trans last year and embarked on “mini resto” from cab forward. Had trans rebuilt, now put back together.

During test drive everything worked great except no power to 4x4 shifter (and won’t engage) AND trans will not shift out of 1st. Here’s what I’ve done:

1) Ran truck on stands, confirmed 4x4 not engaging, won’t shift out of first on stands either. Can shift into L, 2, D, and OD. Wheels move in each gear.

2) Initially speedometer did not work. Now, it works but “bounces” more than normal.

3) Checked connections to trans and transfer case. All seem good.

4) Checked fuses, all seem ok (did not swap them with new).

5) Followed troubleshooting from GM Service Manual. Used test light for transfer case speed sensor, no power from “brown” wire. Next step says to check for open between speed sensor connector and convenience center.

One thing that may be a possible cause is that when I replaced all the grounding straps, there was a connector and approx 3 inches of black ground wire that was between the strap and the firewall. I was never able to find the other end to replace. I figured whatever it grounded would show itself as I moved forward. Given my self-admitted lack of skill with wiring diagrams, it appears to me that ground *may* be for the instrument cluster. Is it possible that somehow the speedo found another way to ground that is barely sufficient and not good enough for the trans?

I am a mechanically inclined person, but am absolutely worthless when I have to use a meter or test light. God forbid I have to use a wiring diagram!

I’m positive this is likely something simple. Can anyone help? Can I buy the entire wire “circuit” and just plug a new one in?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the computer doesn't get a proper speed reference, it's not going to signal the trans to shift properly.

If the speedo is bouncing, either the speedo has failed, or it's not getting a proper speed signal.

Both of these could lead back to faulty VSS(including the reluctor on the shaft of the transfer case) or faulty wire harness carrying the VSS signal. SOMEWHERE in the vehicle, there's a circuit board that processes the VSS signal--in my '88 it's the instrument cluster--which then sends the modified VSS signal to the cruise control, ABS, speedo, odometer, and ECM. Your 93 may be wired differently.

Wild Guess: Totally unrelated to failure of 4WD.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
When I blew up my transmission, after the rebuild, it would shift into OD at WOT. Then the speedometer started bouncing under the same conditions. I took it back to the trans shop. It took a little while for them to figure it out, but it was the VSS. He swamped it out and problem solved.