Front Suspension Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I am rebuilding the front suspension on my truck and I am probably going to probably need as much help as I can get. I am armed with 2 write-ups and some tools.

My first question is a simple one and I feel stupid for asking... How do I get these hub caps off? The passenger side keeps spinning and the drivers side won't budge at all. Any advice?

You must be registered for see images attach

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
That hub cap pushes through the back side of the wheel. (Or at least it looks so on my cell) remove the wheel and it should come off.

Reaction score
Yeah. I just removed the wheel and it popped out from the back. We'll see if my 1/2 ratchet can break loose this axle bolt.

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
You will need a piece of pipe to use as a breaker bar. 2 to 3 feet will provide a ton of leverage. Honestly the biggest you can use is better though. I've used 10 ft bars before :lol:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Yeah. I just removed the wheel and it popped out from the back. We'll see if my 1/2 ratchet can break loose this axle bolt.

If it does, replace your hubs, as the nut was too loose, and the bearings are toast. I use a 24" breaker bar. The first time I did it, I had to use heat, too.

Reaction score
There was not a chance in hell I could break that nut off with a 1/2 ratchet. I went and got a breaker bar and I had trouble using that. I sprayed both sides with PB blaster.

The socket that I got for the axle bolt isn't that snug, honestly it has more play that I would expect. I had trouble keeping the socket on the nut because I was trying to loosen it while the tire was on the ground. I got frustrated so I am done for the day. I will try again tomorrow.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
The socket that I got for the axle bolt isn't that snug, honestly it has more play that I would expect. I had trouble keeping the socket on the nut because I was trying to loosen it while the tire was on the ground. I got frustrated so I am done for the day. I will try again tomorrow.

Everyone says 36mm. I find that a 35mm is better. I think the instructions for the new CV shaft that I bought even specified 35mm.

The 35mm socket will need to be tapped onto the OEM nut with a brass hammer.

Reaction score
So I got the nut off and the caliper. How are the rotors supposed to come off? Just slide off the lug nuts? Mine seem to be fused to the hub.