Front Suspension Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I went from the side...... hammering basically lengthwise with the truck. I used a small sledge. Also, you don't want the jack under the control arm. You want the control arm to be able to drop. The shock kept it from going too far, but that's probably not a good idea. Maybe use a second jack to "catch" the control arm.

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A bigger hammer and apply heat if needed. Some penetrating oil of some kind may help if you soak it over night.

Reaction score
Thanks guy. I just popped it off. When should I put grease in the ball joints? How much do I fill them?

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I got the upper and lower BJs on today, but I got stuck on this boot cover. I couldn't get it to stay on. There is a metal ring inside the boot, but it was too tiny to slip over this lip on the BJ. Will this boot just seat itself when I put the castle but on or what? I tried for like 15 min, but had no luck so I called it quits.

Side note: got the studs pressed into the hubs/rotors. Should be completed tomorrow, I hope haha.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I got the upper and lower BJs on today, but I got stuck on this boot cover. I couldn't get it to stay on. There is a metal ring inside the boot, but it was too tiny to slip over this lip on the BJ.

I used the ball joint press with the smaller ring to push the boot on.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Does anyone have the torque spec for the caliper? I did 75 because I wasn't sure

That's one of the few things I don't use a torque wrench on. Probably becasue I don't have the right socket. I just tighten them by hand with an Allen wrench.

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Remove the wheel first. The center cap goes on from the back of the wheel center hole

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
FYI if you have the anti lock sensor in the hub you can grease the hubs through that hole. I'm not sure how chevy IFS hubs are but I found out that you can do it on my F250 so you may be able to do it on the chevy too. I think a lot of these sealed hubs go bad simply because of no way to add grease to the bearings.