Front Seat Loose? Fix?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBslider001

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The seats both move well. They are power seats. The issue I am having feels like a bolt is loose on the floor or on the track, but none of those are loose at all. They are very tight. The seat rocks back and forth ever so slightly, and you can hear it "clicking" like it has loose bolts. The best I can tell, the bushings in the seat track that attach it to the seat itself seem to be worn.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
The seats both move well. They are power seats. The issue I am having feels like a bolt is loose on the floor or on the track, but none of those are loose at all. They are very tight. The seat rocks back and forth ever so slightly, and you can hear it "clicking" like it has loose bolts. The best I can tell, the bushings in the seat track that attach it to the seat itself seem to be worn.
The seat frame may have damage that you can't see without taking the upholstery off. Many years ago,on our 90 square body Burb, the driver's seat back frame broke, going down the highway. We were on a trip to Beaumont and Port Arthur at the time,and had Dad's big tool boxes in the cargo area. So he had me get them and brace the bucket seat back with them, against the second row seat, so we could get home. Then he pulled the upholstery off and welded it back together. Still holding when we got rid of the truck....
The seat had probably been making noise and moving a little more than it should,and we just didn't notice until it broke.
Not saying this is your root cause,but worth looking into. Never had it happen on another vehicle, but only takes one time for a wreck...

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I've seen a number of the 1995-up seats break the frame right at the corner where the seat brackets bolt to the frame. I've also seen quite a few badly repaired with chicken **** welds complete with burns through the surrounding material..

edit - wow; censor caught me even when I tried to disguise the word "s h i t" lol

Richard

BBslider001

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This isn't one of those things where people can tell you what is wrong. It's gonna take some actual work to figure it out.
Um, actual work is what I am doing. Asking opinions doesn't mean I am waiting for someone to hand me the answer or do the work for me. Forums are full of people with previous experience, and in this case, more than myself. Was simply asking for some guidance or a "hey, anyone dealt with this?". It doesn't mean, in any way, that I was not or am not willing to do the work. Sometimes, the luxury of time is not one all of us have. Thanks for the life lesson though.

BBslider001

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've seen a number of the 1995-up seats break the frame right at the corner where the seat brackets bolt to the frame. I've also seen quite a few badly repaired with chicken **** welds complete with burns through the surrounding material..

edit - wow; censor caught me even when I tried to disguise the word "s h i t" lol

Richard

I hope this isn't the case, but one of the techs at my shop can lay a pretty nice bead, so if it's the culprit, it'll get fixed right. I'll be pulling the seat as soon as we get below 110* from this heat wave LOL. Thanks for the insight.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I hope this isn't the case, but one of the techs at my shop can lay a pretty nice bead, so if it's the culprit, it'll get fixed right. I'll be pulling the seat as soon as we get below 110* from this heat wave LOL. Thanks for the insight.
They can definitely be fixed better than what I mentioned, it really comes down to laziness in my examples. Someone just thought they'd burn a few passes at the problem and hope it held. Proper repair would require removing the seat, pulling some of the upholstery apart, and doing a proper weld job with possibly a bit of reinforcing metal added. In other words, if your seat frame is broken, it's not the end of the world. I've just seen some really poor repairs.

Richard