Front Diff rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WFO4X4

Banned
Reaction score
Any parts upgrades you guys suggest? I know this 8.2" is by far not as good as an SAS but it's a farm truck.... not a crawler nor a jack to the sky wheeler. I've got a 3" lift and run 33s. Just looking for parts recomendations in rebuilding.

RGV2DRHOE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Honestly there really isn't any thing you can upgrade in there due to the fact that the case itself is pretty much the weakest link. Just some decent G2, or yukon gears is the best you can do for the 1/2 ton front end. Welcome to the site, what part of texas you from?

WFO4X4

Banned
Reaction score
Other end of the state. Dallas area. I've got a cast iron pass axle tube and am contemplating on using 3.73 or 4.10's. I do alot of driving so i understand the 3.73 factor w highway miles, but i haul some heavy stuff from time to time. so i'm thinking 4.10's are starting to look better...... it'd be nice to drive both in the same set up and get a real feel for how they perform vs eacother......

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Is the truck in question the Yukon in your pic? What year/motor?
I run a 350 vortec with 3.42s in a 1500 and have hauled some heavy loads (some over 2000lbs) in the bed and haven't had any problems, plenty of power in just about every situation. Can't speak for towing though, haven't done much (just some short runs).

The nice part about the 3.42s is they are relatively good on gas on the 4-lane. Personally, I wouldn't want anything lower, truck does everything I need it to (daily driver/farm truck)

Just sharing my experience with that gear ratio/motor/truck setup, I can't speak for others.

WFO4X4

Banned
Reaction score
yeah, that's the tank there. that was before i had the slight lift on it. it's only 3". i've got a trailer i've hauled nearly 10k down the road..... i know, i know, i should probably just get a heavy duty truck.... but i'm cheap and i've had it since it was new..... 1993. 392k miles..... original diffs too. rebuilt the motor about 4 years ago and the trans about 2 years ago. i DO like the mileage i get w the 3.42.... well, as much as you can like 13MPG when loaded. otherwise, 4.10s won't change mileage that much. it's possible it'll even help while towing w less effort on the motor to haul 3k loads.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Yeah, like I said I rarely tow anything so I can't help much there -- but I agree you'd probably appreciate the lower gears to get that load going. What's that got for a motor? 305, 350? Vortec or TBI? Just out of curiosity.
And that's darn good mileage for hauling a heavy trailer. Plus with that many miles on it...why bother getting a bigger truck? Obviously that baby works for you! Nice lookin' truck btw.

WFO4X4

Banned
Reaction score
Its a 5.7 tbi. not sure where the power ranges are, it's stock as far as i know. I didn't add anything to it intentionaly. I'm considering an RV cam next time a rebuild come up. but i got 300k out of the first motor and almost 100k on the rebuild. i'm having some issue with the PCV getting clogged and it burning about a qt of oil every 2k miles but it's not a big deal to me i guess, still gets great pressure. Maybe i should just use heavier oil.

inthechateau

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been running a 96 Tahoe with 3:42's, 5.7 and air lift and never had problems towing up to 9K with it, I just keep it in 3rd on the highway and not let it go to OD, I did put in the vette servo and that helped a lot. 373's would have been a lot easier on the hills in the mountains though. I did axles and gears on an old 88 K1500 for my dad a few years ago went to 411's in it. Pulled like a tank but engine ran a lot faster on the road than we liked.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Depends on how much you tow vs. How much you just drive it. If you do mostly just driving I'd say keep the 3.42s if you tow alot go 4.10s a happy medium would be 3.73