FRONT AXLE SEALS 1994 YUKON

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigriver

Reaction score
There are several threads covering this but not sure if what I was reading covered a 1994 1/2 ton year model. I have read where the driver side axle taps out with a hammer and the passenger side axle does not tap out but has to be removed via splitting the differential.

Does the differential have to be split to get the axle shaft out to replace the seal on the passenger side on a 1994 IFS?

Does the differential have to be split to get the axle shaft out to replace the seal on the drivers side on a 1994 IFS?

Thanks for any help.

bigriver

Reaction score
1994 GM 4WD

Driver side axle stub can be removed by tapping the flange with a hammer.
Replaced seal tapped back in place with hammer.

Passenger side axle removal. I unbolted the axle housing from the the differential. Replaced seal and bearing at on the outside end of axle tube.

Only trouble was with the passenger side on reassembly. After some pretty hard wacks with the hammer the gear and snap ring would not go back on the axle shaft. I had to sand the end of the shaft so the keeper would snap over the tapered edge. I managed by myself but it was pretty difficult to hold the 4wd acuator spring in place and stab the axle housing assembly back in place. Might need an extra arm for this.