Freshly rebuilt 350 not starting!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lordkay972

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also any reason to turn the engine over 90° at a time instead of 180°?

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

Black_cirrus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
With the rockers loose I don't think it matters as much if they were tight just make sure oil is moving around good.

Black_cirrus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
tighten the rockers up and turn the engine over by hand to make sure nothing is binding

Black_cirrus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
did it bend pushrods before the rebuild or only after? did you change the cam or valvetrain at all?

Lordkay972

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
did it bend pushrods before the rebuild or only after? did you change the cam or valvetrain at all?
It never had a single problem before rebuild (which is one reason I'm beating myself up for messing with it) I changed the cam, lifters, and springs. I also put new valve seals on it.

Black_cirrus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What year truck/engine are you working on? the motors in gmt400s (TBI and vortec) were never high performance and I know there can be clearance issues is you start messing with stuff but I don't know the details and limits off hand. I just don't want you going to far and finding a hard part incompatibility is causing the issue.

Lordkay972

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What year truck/engine are you working on? the motors in gmt400s (TBI and vortec) were never high performance and I know there can be clearance issues is you start messing with stuff but I don't know the details and limits off hand. I just don't want you going to far and finding a hard part incompatibility is causing the issue.
It's a 92 TBI. Specs on Stock TBI cam is .050″tappet lift (intake/exhaust) is 165/175; and maximum lift with 1.5:1 rocker ratio(intake/exhaust) is .382/.402. Here's my cam
You must be registered for see images attach

Black_cirrus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks like a good fit. I'll assume the springs are a similar mild upgrade and not overly stiff, as that could cause a problem also. I recall the TBI spec push rods are not super heavy duty. how many pushrods did it bend? It sounds like you've bent them more then once, on the same cylinder? just digging through my head for possibilities and options.

Lets get this thing running so you can tell me how you like that cam. I may put it on the wish list if I ever have to tear apart the motor again in the wife's 94.

Lordkay972

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've bent too many to count. I probably have bent at least one on each cylinder. Let me try to find the spring set I got so you can tell me if that may be where I messed up.

Edit: Here they are.
You must be registered for see images

Last edited: