Free 350

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

biga1987

Reaction score
Got a free engine coming my way. Needs some work but I cannot wait to build it so excited. Thinking of keeping the Vortec heads and having them ported. Then spicing up the cam and intake. Any benefit on upgrading springs and rockers?

biga1987

Reaction score
.550 is about the max on vortec heads without some work correct? I would REALLY like to switch to an aftermarket injection but thats out of the budget. are they any more reliable than the TBI system? I would assume so.

biga1987

Reaction score
so to run a lager cam than .480 all you have to do is change the springs and retainers? For some reason i thought there had to be some physical work done to the head.

CodeRed26

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
so to run a lager cam than .480 all you have to do is change the springs and retainers? For some reason i thought there had to be some physical work done to the head.
theirs 2 ways get the special springs CCREDDELL is speaking of cheap easy and the most logical way to go, or get the valve guides and bosses machined and get new spings. I was all for the machining way but gave CCREDDELLs way a good thinking and that's obviously the better choice on a budget build
Also .480 is being a little too generous most guys keep it under .470 to be safe and that's pushing it

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
.550 is about the max on vortec heads without some work correct? I would REALLY like to switch to an aftermarket injection but thats out of the budget. are they any more reliable than the TBI system? I would assume so.

Theres a Vortec base mani available for the TPI. Probably the best bang for the buck out there....

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just noticed that you are building this engine for your 89. That being the case, you might want to check out my build thread. Basically, I put Vortec heads and 4 barrel manifold on the stock block. Updated to a LT1 roller cam, used roller rockers, and ran shorty headers. Got an adapter for the TBI, and did the Ultimate TBI mods and ran a Salad bowl spacer. Oh, and swapped in electric fans.

http://forum.gmtruckcentral.com/showthread.php/1549-90-TBI-Upgrades

biga1987

Reaction score
mines a 93.. same thing basically. probably wont go too big on the cam its my dd.