frame size and thickness

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tinason

Reaction score
I finally got the cab, box and front clip off of my project truck. Its a 95 chevy 1500 4x4 diesel. It is considered a heavy half and has 14 bolt rear end with 6 lug wheels. The frame is 8" tall by 2.5 " wide and made out of 1/8 steel. I bought a 2500 for the 6.2 block and thought i could use the frame to cut up and use to extend the 1500 to accept a crew cab. The only problem is that the steel they used for the 2500 is 3/16. My question is does a normal 1500 4x4..not the heavy half...have a frame made out of 1/8"? I really need some frame pieces to stretch my frame, and of all the trucks I have for donors...i dont have a frame that matches. I need someone who has a 1500 4x4 to check their frame so I can make some calls tomorrow and locate a donor? Thanks

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Why not extend the 2500 frame?

You'll end up with a better end product.

Thats what i would do if I had the choice between a 1/2 ton and 3/4 frame. I'll take that extra 1/8, thank you!

Especially with extending it in the cab area and using a (relatively) heavy and torque-y diesel.

Heck, dig around and you can find a factory frame that fits a cc and even a lb with a diesel.

There's a reason you don't see cc diesel 1/2 tons.....

Not trying to throw a bucket of cold water on ya, just pointing out there easier and better ways than stretching a 1/2 ton frame for what you seem to be planning.

Cheers

Last edited:

Tinason

Reaction score
A 2500 frame is only a 1/16 " larger...the 1 ton frame is 1/8" bigger. The truck is a 4 x4 came as a diesel and is considered a heavy half. IT has the 8" frame, stretching it will be plenty strong. It started life as a shortbox...so will make it easy to make a short box crew. I dont want another heavy vehicle, my daily driver now is an extended cab 2500 hd diesel....dont need 2 of them!