Frame interchange help needed please: 1995 C2500 Suburban 7.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ya know, the more I think about it, and believe me I am someone that has had body-off-frame truck projects.. I think you'd be better off getting another good running rust-free Suburban and keeping yours as a parts truck.

Say you find another C2500 Suburban that has a good frame. Stands to reason the rest of the truck has a high probability of still being good, too. You gonna go to all the trouble to swap bodies, interiors, drivetrains, etc.? For what goal?

Richard

I have extremely strong sentimental attachment to my `Burb--without going into too much detail, it was part of an inheritance of sorts. In this instance, cost is not a primary concern, the `Burb will be fixed, it's only a matter of time and finding the right parts.

FWIW, I've wanted to get the `Burb off the road for at least 8 years, but I wasn't able to as it was my DD--I was actively searching for a suitable replacement to fill in for the `Burb while it was down, but it took me a LOT longer than I'd hoped to find something suitable. Last year I picked up a project `90 3500 Crew Cab dually barn find and I've spent the last year getting it road-worthy, but there's still a little ways left to go on it (mechanically speaking--aesthetics will be addressed later) before it's daily driveable.

I'm really hoping to find another `Burb that's as close to mine as possible (Green w/grey cloth interior, no 3rd seat, 7.4/4L80/3.73 14 bolt, barn doors) that I can use as a donor vehicle to harvest the repair parts for my` Burb. I found a great donor on FB Marketplace in Illinois, but the seller won't reply to messages.

I know that doesn't make any financial sense, but again, this `Burb really means a lot to me.

Reaction score
FWIW, major restoration projects are nothing new to me.

Forgive the off-topic pics, but this is my `67 Chevelle SS396 that I did a full frame off restoration on.

Continued below...

Attachments

• A.jpg
    A.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 8
  • D.JPG
    D.JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 8
  • F.JPG
    F.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 8
  • H.JPG
    H.JPG
    305.8 KB · Views: 7
  • J.JPG
    J.JPG
    281.8 KB · Views: 6

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have extremely strong sentimental attachment to my `Burb--without going into too much detail, it was part of an inheritance of sorts. In this instance, cost is not a primary concern, the `Burb will be fixed, it's only a matter of time and finding the right parts.

FWIW, I've wanted to get the `Burb off the road for at least 8 years, but I wasn't able to as it was my DD--I was actively searching for a suitable replacement to fill in for the `Burb while it was down, but it took me a LOT longer than I'd hoped to find something suitable. Last year I picked up a project `90 3500 Crew Cab dually barn find and I've spent the last year getting it road-worthy, but there's still a little ways left to go on it (mechanically speaking--aesthetics will be addressed later) before it's daily driveable.

I'm really hoping to find another `Burb that's as close to mine as possible (Green w/grey cloth interior, no 3rd seat, 7.4/4L80/3.73 14 bolt, barn doors) that I can use as a donor vehicle to harvest the repair parts for my` Burb. I found a great donor on FB Marketplace in Illinois, but the seller won't reply to messages.

I know that doesn't make any financial sense, but again, this `Burb really means a lot to me.
Same here buddy. I completely understand. Been with my burb for 24yrs and grew up in it. Lot of memories from major life chapters to vacations. My goal is to do a 4wd frame swap eventually so mine can be finally 4wd.

Reaction score
Would there happen to be a kind soul out there who would be willing to slide underneath their 1500 series 1/2 ton `92-96 Suburban and measure the thickness of the frame rail with a pair of calipers somewhere around the B pillar between the doors?

I've been doing some pretty deep digging on this and I think I may be on to something...

ANY help would be sincerely appreciated!

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Would there happen to be a kind soul out there who would be willing to slide underneath their 1500 series 1/2 ton `92-96 Suburban and measure the thickness of the frame rail with a pair of calipers somewhere around the B pillar between the doors?

I've been doing some pretty deep digging on this and I think I may be on to something...

ANY help would be sincerely appreciated!
The section height of the 2500 frames are dimensionally taller/heavier duty along their length as well. It's not just the thickness of the metal. I never tried to swap a 1500 frame for 2500 or vice/versa. I would look at the control arm mounts very closely.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The section height of the 2500 frames are dimensionally taller/heavier duty along their length as well. It's not just the thickness of the metal. I never tried to swap a 1500 frame for 2500 or vice/versa. I would look at the control arm mounts very closely.
Yep, checking one thing at a time off the list.

Check out the 2 links below showing the part numbers for the various components that comprise the frame assembly; the first is the 1500 series, the 2nd the 2500 series.

1995 C1500 frame p/n 12375998 2WD

1995 C2500 frame p/n 12375999 2WD

(It's confusing though that the links show the same frame part numbers being used on both C and K series???)

The part numbers for the frame assemblies is only one number apart, and if you look at the break-down, all of the crossmembers are the same between the 2 frames. Obviously there is some difference or GM wouldn't have changed the part number--the $1.64 question, what specifically is that difference?

I've looked into all the suspension component interchangeability issues, and according to resources such as Rockauto, all of the front control arms are the same between 1500 up to 3500 series frames, and the rear leaf springs are listed as interchangeable between 1500-3500 series as well. The shocks are also listed as interchangeable, as are front coil springs and steering gear.

I'm sure there's no difference between the body tubs between the various series, so the body mount locations should all be in the same location.

Who'dathunk sleuthing out a frame swap for a `95 Suburban would turn out to be such an endeavor? lol.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep, checking one thing at a time off the list.

Check out the 2 links below showing the part numbers for the various components that comprise the frame assembly; the first is the 1500 series, the 2nd the 2500 series.

1995 C1500 frame p/n 12375998 2WD

1995 C2500 frame p/n 12375999 2WD

(It's confusing though that the links show the same frame part numbers being used on both C and K series???)

The part numbers for the frame assemblies is only one number apart, and if you look at the break-down, all of the crossmembers are the same between the 2 frames. Obviously there is some difference or GM wouldn't have changed the part number--the $1.64 question, what specifically is that difference?

I've looked into all the suspension component interchangeability issues, and according to resources such as Rockauto, all of the front control arms are the same between 1500 up to 3500 series frames, and the rear leaf springs are listed as interchangeable between 1500-3500 series as well. The shocks are also listed as interchangeable, as are front coil springs and steering gear.

I'm sure there's no difference between the body tubs between the various series, so the body mount locations should all be in the same location.

Who'dathunk sleuthing out a frame swap for a `95 Suburban would turn out to be such an endeavor? lol.
Not sure what your looking at. I'm seeing different part numbers under those headings. 2wd 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton have different part numbers for the frames as do 3/4ton 2wd and 4wd. One part number looks to be a std. cab 8ft bed frame.(????)

Last edited: