Found some major brake damage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dewster

Reaction score
Ever since I owned this truck, the brakes have been on the "mushy" side. I could pump the brakes a couple of times to build the pressure up, and it would stay pressured for a while, then loose it all. Recently, I could pump the brakes and no pressure would build at all. I checked and found that there was a crack in the brake line feeding the left-rear wheel. While I was down there, I also took the tire off to check if anything else needed to be tightened. And when I took the drum off, the springs for the brake were laying in the drum! Not attached, just laying in the drum. Not only that, but I found the parking brake cable was broken in two places, some metal pieces had fallen off, cylinder had a leak in it, and the metal ring that surrounds the axle seal had been bent and "folded", if you will.

That was my main question. What could have caused this, and how would I go about replacing that metal ring? It looks like it's bending the seal too, so may as well replace that. I find it odd that all this happened in one wheel and all the other ones are fine. Luck of the draw, I guess.

Also added a few extra pictures in case someone sees something else that I missed.

Attachments

• IMG_0654.jpg
    IMG_0654.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0656.jpg
    IMG_0656.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0657.jpg
    IMG_0657.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0658.jpg
    IMG_0658.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0659.jpg
    IMG_0659.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 21

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If memory serves the metal ring is part of the seal so just change it and be done... As for springs and broken park cable, that's all common for drum brakes on anything. Rarely does a drum come off that spare parts don't follow.

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Throw some new brakes on there and replace the axle seal and all should be fine. Lucky you, you get to change diff fluid and remove axle to change that seal.

Shouldn't have to worry about anything in the rear end for a while when you get done.

Dewster

Reaction score
Well then, off to buy those parts. Although I've been pleased with how cheap the parts so far have cost. Even the cylinder wasn't that bad.

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well then, off to buy those parts. Although I've been pleased with how cheap the parts so far have cost. Even the cylinder wasn't that bad.

It's just brakes... Parts are cheap for that stuff. Now when I did axle shafts in my truck it was $400 :nono:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Be sure to replace brake parts in pairs. Wheel cylinders, shoes, hardware/springs. You can get kits with all the hardware to make 'em new. Clean the adjusters and very lightly grease the threads and inside the bearing cap with anti-seize.

I usually don't have that much trouble with drums - as far as parts coming along with the drums on removal. :gr_grin: But it looks like possibly whatever came loose clunked around in there damaging other items.

Richard

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
The right side? That's the side that has given me probs on both my trucks. With & without posi.
Do one side at a time. Use the other as a ref.
Everything but the backing plates should be replaced.
Get the install kit. Has new springs & posts.
New drums? Get them checked for roundness as soon as the parts guy hands 'em to you @ the counter. I've had several over the years, that even when brand new, created the infamous Chevy pulsating brake pedal syndrome. Either get them machined RFN, or move on to the next one. (Damn off-shore crappy crap!)
ABS? Be prepared to bleed & bleed & bleed! (& maybe bleed some more!) That ABS is known to hold air. Or delete that POS system while you're in there doing all this.