Folding type door mirrors breaking door glass.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Take the above, shrink to 3/4 size and now you're in Scotland!
One of the reasons Jim Clark and Jackie Stewart were the precise drivers they were was that they were raised on tight Scottish roads. Typically, Scottish race tracks were also small and tight (many of the tracks in England were disused airfields - eg, Silverstone - so very open. When JC and JS arrived on English (and other) circuits their precision paid off.
A Freelander?! They've had those over here before; any smaller and I could put it in the back of the Burb LOL . They looked fairly capable for a little SUV though.
And many SUV drivers and pickup drivers over here don't seem to be very good either. And way too many idiots playing with phones, stereo, themselves or otherwise distracted. Many times I think God's hand came down to keep us from a wreck. So many of our roads and freeways are under renovation too and that doesn't help!

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Loads of crap drivers here in UK too so it's not roads tgat make a driver unfortunatelly. And if you guys think driving here is a challenge try Morocco-especially roundabout. I drove once in Tangier(not in the Hoe)-experience and a half. I loved it tho. Nice views.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK, decision made.

Two of these >> https://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_159758340870810&key=e4c2ffeaa62ac9a00fc17119badaef3c&libId=kdx3lp4z01000blq000DAc0znqvoj&loc=https://www.gmt400.com/threads/folding-type-door-mirrors-breaking-door-glass.50009/page-2#post-1111076&v=1&out=https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=692395&cc=1353057&jsn=25&ref=https://www.gmt400.com/&title=Folding type door mirrors breaking door glass. | Page 2 | GMT400 - The Ultimate 88-98 GM Truck Forum&txt=https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=692395&cc=1353057&jsn=25

ordered so I have a spare. These do not mention having convex glass (which the K - part ones do) and I prefer flat. That they're half the price also influenced me (seriously, RHS door mirrors look like being consumables here on the narrow roads of Scotland (though I'm going to avoid the narrowest of them in future)).

I'll brace them internally (with steel) when I get them to help keep them away from the window and tape the back of the mirror glass to contain shrapnel from shattering (that marks the paint on the door).

Thanks for the help here - especially df2x4. You saved me from ordering a manual version which would have been a major PITA to adjust had I done that - cheers.

Total cost for two of the mirrors including shipping and all taxes is £72 ($94) from Rock Auto. In the UK I can only get one Dorman for £95 ($124)

A couple of pics of the new mirror and a Dorman for comparison. Maybe the driver side Dorman could be fitted better but the new (passenger side) one from RA looks to fit better.
Reinforcement didn't happen - couldn't open it up without risking breaking the glass so fitted as it came out of its box.

Two pics of the new one first:

You must be registered for see images attach

And a (driver side) Dorman for comparison:

Haven't driven it yet with the new mirror so whether it shakes like a dog ******** or not is still unknown.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And this is on the other mirror.
Adjusted so that I can see my rear left tyre in relation to the road edge. Just to be certain I'm as far over as I can be.

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
And this is on the other mirror.
Adjusted so that I can see my rear left tyre in relation to the road edge. Just to be certain I'm as far over as I can be.

I see you've got spot mirrors on your Burb too. We learned the need for them on the square body pickups back in the 70s. People in greater Houston drive like nutjobs or impatient children and always have LOL. They like to get in front of you and whip around in traffic. Got a pair for the F150 but haven't gotten them on yet. Right now we're trying to get Tuesday's work done so we can get ready for the storm. Hopefully it will go in around the Texas/Louisiana border, but we'll just have to wait and see what she does.....
All we can really do is bring the patio furniture in and park the truck and Burb in safe places.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I see you've got spot mirrors on your Burb too. We learned the need for them on the square body pickups back in the 70s. People in greater Houston drive like nutjobs or impatient children and always have LOL. They like to get in front of you and whip around in traffic. Got a pair for the F150 but haven't gotten them on yet.

Only on the left mirror to spot my rear tyre and road edge. Maybe do the right hand one (they came as a pair) but not needed so much here as sitting on the left leaves less of a blind spot on my right than RHD does.

Right now we're trying to get Tuesday's work done so we can get ready for the storm. Hopefully it will go in around the Texas/Louisiana border, but we'll just have to wait and see what she does.....
All we can really do is bring the patio furniture in and park the truck and Burb in safe places.

Another storm?
How are you getting along with the Ford? The guy who did my MOT test has one (and a 1957 Mercury Monterey apparently). His is a 2003 I think so about the same age as yours? He's just got it back on the road and loves driving it. His has a larger cab and solid tonneu and has Ranch King on the tailgate IIRC. Looks to be pretty decent and well appointed too - leather inside. Still prefer my Suburban to it though.

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
Only on the left mirror to spot my rear tyre and road edge. Maybe do the right hand one (they came as a pair) but not needed so much here as sitting on the left leaves less of a blind spot on my right than RHD does.

Another storm?
How are you getting along with the Ford? The guy who did my MOT test has one (and a 1957 Mercury Monterey apparently). His is a 2003 I think so about the same age as yours? He's just got it back on the road and loves driving it. His has a larger cab and solid tonneu and has Ranch King on the tailgate IIRC. Looks to be pretty decent and well appointed too - leather inside. Still prefer my Suburban to it though.
Like this?

Ours is a 2001 with 4wd and the 5.4 V8. Very peppy, which is great for getting on the freeway. It's got some issues, but it's certainly a pretty decent truck for the price. The upper Texas coast does get storms about every summer, but this season has been extra busy.
We're supposed to be on the good side of town as far as wind and possible power outages. Those who are closer to Louisiana, like Texas Rebel and others, are going to see some serious winds and rain. Now the hurricane seems to be coming in between the border and Lake Charles. LC is about 30 miles inside the Louisiana state line. Been through it a few times on the way to and from Lafayette. Right now in the park we're getting a little more breeze than usual in the evening, and I expect some rain before morning. But so far doesn't look too bad..... we shall see though. She's pretty close to landfall though so she shouldn't move too much to the west. That has been one of the problems with heavy rain in this area; when storms don't move through quickly, then there's more rain than the ground and bayous can handle. Then we have major flooding.

Last edited: