Flooded Carb on 90 OBS 454ss

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toocoo

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have another issue that i ran into this weekend that i need help with. i was changing out the fuel pump and strainer on my 454ss this weekend and ran into an issue.

all i did was remove the bed and removed the fuel send unit and replaced the pump.

i re-assembled everything and went to turn on the truck and it fired right up.

a few seconds later the truck died as if it ran out of fuel...so i turn the ignition and and it wont turn over as if it isnt getting fuel...

so i give it a few pumps on the accelerator and it fires up but dies out a few seconds later. I notice this time gas coming from the exhuast and a heavy fuel smell

I open the hood and remove the air cleaner and my carb is completely flooded with gas. and gas is pouring out of the 2 small stacks seen in the attached picture.

it stopped oneced i turned the ignition off and shut off the fuel pump.

but it started to flood once i turned the ignition on and the pump activated again.

You must be registered for see images attach

Im a total noob when it comes to carbed vehicles...i purchased this truck with the carb already in it.

any help that you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Joesgarage

Wrench
Reaction score
What type of regulator do you run?
Did you take out a low pressure pump and install a high pressure pump?
I don't think that pieces of dirt would have gotton in BOTH sides of the carb at the same time.
you did say that fuel was coming out both vents.
Steve

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah I was wondering the same thing's, did you put in a higher pressure pump, and are you running an outboard rgulator up near the carb?

toocoo

Reaction score
fuel was coming out of both vents...

i replaced the pump that was in the tank (which looked like a regualar OEM pump) with another OEM pump i bought from the part store. I'll have to check the type of fuel regulator i have but if i remember correctly it was a Mallory.

Looks like this one.

You must be registered for see images attach

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Carburettors......easy to fix, put shotgun in mouth, pull trigger, look down and laugh maniacally as the next sucker tries to resolve the problem :D

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
check your float levels, sounds like they are too high, that will make gas pour out of the vents.

also, your regulator could have ****** up, and there is too much pressure and its overpowering the needle and seats in the card.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
your regulator could have ****** up, and there is too much pressure and its overpowering the needle and seats in the card.[/QUOTE] This is what I was thinking.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
Make certain that the pump is low pressure. Check your fuel pressure before anything else. A TBI pump looks exactly like any high pressure pump.

The not turning over thing is called hydrolock. Very bad. Once you get it all figured out, change your oil immediately.

toocoo

Reaction score
I had a mechanic from accross the street come over last night at take a look at the issue. He tells me that i need to get a higher PSI fuel pump at least 30psi. I havent gotten a chance to talk to him yet but does that sound right? to me i would figure that more pressure would cause more fuel to be pushed out?

again total retard when it comes to carbs