First real test drive today, after V8 swap.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Found a tutorial. I registered on the site but still can't download anything from there. It says I need to wait in the queue for admin approval. Whatev's.

I don't think it matters much at this point, because, even if I do get the live data thing going, how the F do I know what's right and what's wrong?

I ran the engine for a bit today while trying to get Tunerpro RT to connect. I'm noticing it's harder to start, has a rough idle, and sounds like there's a miss or something.

I'M ABOUT DONE WITH THIS CRAP. Matter of fact, I had the opportunity to go through a lot of my old parts boxes today. I found everything I'll need (with the exception of gaskets) to slap the original heads back on and likely alleviate a ton of problems.

Should have listened to the majority in the first place.... or better yet just have dropped in a crate engine.

Peace out.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You don't. Not very many "tuners" want to give away their .bins (due to liabilities and/or profit), you upload your .bin from your chip (or a similar one that has the same four letter calibration) using something like the Moates Burn2. Then adjust the tables to optimize performance on your engine, burn a chip, and go for a ride. Data log with TunerPro RT (yes, it's still free), modify, burn, rinse and repeat until you're happy.

Orrr - you can go with the EBL Flash-II which has some .bins to start with, and can "tune" your VE tables for desired AFRs. You adjust SA, AE, PE, etc, on your own.

Here's a link for you to read about "Introduction to tuning" parts 1 & 2 plus the Flash-II page that explains what it can do. HTH
www.dynamicefi.com/

I thought the bin was the tune and the mask is what you needed to display the tune properly?

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I thought the bin was the tune and the mask is what you needed to display the tune properly?

Yes, I'm under the same impression. Then, I think I read somewhere that you don't even need a bin if all you're doing is SCANNING or DATA LOGGING.

You should treat it as an opportunity to learn something new. You said computers used to be your bread and butter - maybe you’ll find this enjoyable. You’re gonna have to get used to working with them on your LS Swap.

USED to be, being the operative words. As for connecting Windows 10 to an 80's EPROM, the hardware and driver part was easy. Configuring the COM port was pie, as well. Well now, Tunerpro is software with too many unknown variables. That's where I get lost and confused.

Now for the final nail in the coffin: I used youtube and lying, spying google to get this far (with tunerpro). THAT'S A FAIL. My day was when you had to go to school and read books to learn this stuff... not have near unlimited knowledge on a "smart" (relative term) device.

Hell, do you all think I post replies on a "smart" device? NO! I use an aging PC that I built myself. Matter of fact, it'll be time for an upgrade soon. I'm a gamer at heart and a gear head only on the side. Guess which one is more expensive LOL.

I've said this before and I'm saying it again: I challenge ANY one of my friends, that have kids, to take away their devices/what have you, and see just how far they get without their noses planted into a screen for most of the day. Get rid off ALL the spoonfed propaganda and lies. Have them grow up like WE did in the 80's and 90's WITHOUT the internet. Challenge them to go out and learn a skill on their own and work a REAL JOB for a living instead of depending on The Joneses (if you know what I mean). Or better yet, ENLIST in ANY branch of the military and see how far they make it before wussing out or (gasp) earning that Honorble Discharge however many years later.

/rant.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have two options.

1) Take the time and put in the effort to figure this tuning out. Nobody said it was easy to just pick up and do. There is a learning curve. The info is out there. The internet is like a huge library - just online. It’s no different than finding information at a library. You still have to determine what is reliable and what isn’t.

2) Put the old heads back on and just drive the thing. You’ve still got some sort of mechanical issue(s).

People have complained about the younger generation forever. If it’s not cell phones it was Nintendo/Sega, Atari, the arcade machine, early computers, Walkman, records, rock and roll turning kids evil.
Challenge them to go out and learn a skill on their own
Ok I challenge you to do this with tuning.
I use an aging PC that I built myself. Matter of fact, it'll be time for an upgrade soon. I'm a gamer at heart and a gear head only on the side. Guess which one is more expensive LOL.
If you can spec out a computer and build it you can do this my guy.