Finally got started on my Shop Buildings!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dangrus4060

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, its takn roughly 6 years, 4 different locations and 5 different designs to finally get to this point and begin construction of my Shops!!

1st round was a 4 bay shop behind my house with a lift bay for working on vehicles... and a full attic/storage overhead... late 2017 started designing.

You must be registered for see images attach

Found out well AFTER my contractor told me the city would not allow a garage with more sq. footage than the house, then deciding to build new house/shop out in the county... that he lied cause he wanted to spend more time with his ***** down at the family beach house instead of building my shop... but got caught by his wife and son!!! his company was in her name... oh boy!!!

Late 2018...
2nd plan was a 2400 sq ft house over a 2400 sq ft shop out in county... nice neighborhood...

economy slump and loss of OT killed that one a week before i was to buy the land...

Searched for a better/cheaper building method... discovered Post Frame buildings... or pole barn style... Barndominiums!

Spring 2020...
3rd go at it... economy back in action!
2200 sq ft ranch style with 3 car main garage on end and attached 3600 sq ft shop on the back side. again out in the county... found a better lot this time.

This copy did not have my truck on it... bought it Dec. '21... it would be parked in the wash bay.

3 days before buying the land... CIVID hit and no OT again... dammit... and loss of big chunk of retirement funds...

Round 4...
Retired Jan 31 2022... trying to decide what I wanted to do about a shop... with inflation and high cost of wood and steel... ugh
Even played with the idea of moving to central Florida, just west of The Villages. Found a nice house with almost same plan as my last design... nearing completion on a good 1.5 acre flat level lot... plenty of room to build a fully AC cooled shop!! a little more up front costs but cheaper than staying here...

Shop would have been in the back yard with a covered walkway to it... never got around to actually plotting that out.

OK, end of part 1... see next post for part 2...

Last edited:

Dangrus4060

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Part 2...

Well several factors got in the way of moving to Florida... so I revisited the idea of just adding a metal building shop or shops to my back yard.
My neighbor suggested I call the city to see EXACTLY what would be involved in building a shop or shops... this is when I found out the original contractor lied to me... all I had to do was apply for a Special Zoning Variance to build what they call Accessory Buildings. Filed the appropriate paperwork.... went to the hearing on June 1st... there were no objections... zoning committee said my plans met all special zoning requirements and edge clearances... rezoning approved... tweaked my plans, got quotes from reputable companies this time... paid my $100 building permit fee and got the green light!!!

Garage/Work Shop... front one
Will have 2 2-post lifts at the left door and 2 parking spaces at the right door with lawn care stuff are small 8'-0 door on side.
all the tools and work stuff will be in this unit.... it will be fully insulated and have AC and heat!!! can park 6 vehicles in it...(truck will be one of them!)

Storage Shop... rear one
Will have 4 4-post lifts at the 2 doors with 10'-0 of storage shelving on the left side.
it will be fully insulated and have heat!!! and maybe AC if its not to expensive... can park 7 vehicles plus utility trailer and pop-up camper in it.

Sample interior shot... but mine will have concrete slabs in both!

Pulled some $$ from retirement...made a Construction Fund account at the credit union and started all the prep work... paid deposits to the metal bldg company, the contractor... (didnt have to pay deposit to my concrete guy... already did 2 projects with him already...) and they started last week...!!!

Go to Part Three...

Last edited:

Dangrus4060

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Part Three ... Construction Starts!!

All staked out ready for surveyor to pinpoint corners.

Day 1 !!

Go to 4...

Dangrus4060

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Part Four...

Yeah, a little steep on that back corner!! gonna be a bit of fill to go in ...

On to Part Five...

Dangrus4060

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Part Five...

Fotting step down forms...

Back Bldg all set for concrete...

Footings for both buildings all done!

Surveyor came this morning to set all the corner pins for the Masonry Guys to start laying blocks!!
They start 1st thing in the morning!

More progress pics to follow!!

Dangrus4060

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
UPDATE!!
Foundation walls ... almost ... done!!
They were about 17 blocks shy of completion today... :oops:
Otherwise looking good!! Kinda looks bigger when you actually see the walls up. Have had it envisioned in my head but until its actually there you don't fully see it...

Ended up raising the rear bldg up by 1 block course... cutting down the yard at the back bldg on the right side would have been a bit much and would have cut into the roots of neighbors trees a lot... so they will both be at about the same elevation now. Will have to make a slight change in slab elevation on the front bldg to compensate.

Will fill the wall cells with concrete on Tuesday...weather permitting... supposed to go from about 80 and sunny on Monday to 50 and rain Tuesday.

Also sorted out how all my drains for downspouts, slabs and foundations and started getting some of that set up.

Dangrus4060

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats a lot of mortar mix and sand!!

Tall corner!!:oops:

Ran out of block at end of 1st day... no more room to set off more pallets... 10 more pallets to go!!!