FI intake gaskets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oilspot

Reaction score
doing head gaskets on my 97'. The fel-pro head gasket kit I ordered came with the plastic backed (known to crack) intake gaskets. I really don't want to use these because I know they're prone to cracking. My machinist also said he's seen quite a few of those fail to seal around the water jackets.

so....

option 1:
my machinist gave me some thick, normal style (like they use on old school SBC's) thick intake gaskets that he said will work as long as I use some sealant, especially around the water jackets. These match up perfectly to the obs FI gaskets. They actually fit like they're port matched.

option 2:
Re-use the "new style", metal backed intake gaskets that I bought/ installed when I bought the truck. maybe 50 hrs on them, not a crush gasket, and the rubber is supple like they're new. If I were to reuse these I'd probably use a small amount of sealant around the water jackets for good measure.

option 3:
wait till next damn wednesday for the new, "new style" metal backed gaskets to come in. I ordered these just so they'd be on the way in case I decided to go purist. These will cost me an extra $65.

I'd like to hear back whats worked and failed for people on here.

thank you for your time and feedback. I really don't wanna have to do this PIA job twice!!!!

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don’t know if the intake gaskets that come with the head gasket kit are the same as the intake gasket kit, but the Felpro intake gasket kit is the only one I trust. Felpro came up with the gaskets that addressed the leaking intake issue.

When the intake leaks it usually leaks at the corners where gasket and RTV meets.

I used the Felpro intake kit on my 96 G1500 90k ago and no indication of leaks. When I cracked the intake on my 96 k1500 the Felpro intake kit was also doing fine with about 60k on that gasket job.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. I'd want to verify that Fel-Pro "plastic" gaskets have the same problems as Genuine GM plastic gaskets.

2. If those silicone-molded gaskets are in good condition, why wouldn't you re-use them? Other folks re-use them after they have tens of thousands of miles on 'em.

3. Seems like a lot of money for no real difference.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. I'd want to verify that Fel-Pro "plastic" gaskets have the same problems as Genuine GM plastic gaskets.

2. If those silicone-molded gaskets are in good condition, why wouldn't you re-use them? Other folks re-use them after they have tens of thousands of miles on 'em.

3. Seems like a lot of money for no real difference.

The Fel-pro plastic do have same problem. I have installed them on my Suburban only to pull the intake around 50k miles later to find them deteriorating and on the verge of failure. Doing the same thing after 25k miles with a set of MS98000T gaskets (the metal reinforced style)I found no signs of deterioration to speak of.

Why would you reuse a critical gasket, especially when you have or can easily have a replacement on hand? Being in a bind is one thing, but otherwise it is just being exceptionally cheap.

oilspot

Reaction score
Yeah.... only $60 more dollars. But because of covid19 lockdown I'm only working 16hrs a week right now, and not sure how long that's even gonna last.
Hence questioning if reuse is fesible
The Fel-pro plastic do have same problem. I have installed them on my Suburban only to pull the intake around 50k miles later to find them deteriorating and on the verge of failure. Doing the same thing after 25k miles with a set of MS98000T gaskets (the metal reinforced style)I found no signs of deterioration to speak of.

Why would you reuse a critical gasket, especially when you have or can easily have a replacement on hand? Being in a bind is one thing, but otherwise it is just being exceptionally cheap.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Now that I think of it I've replaced the intake gaskets on all four of my Gen I Vortecs, and although I know I used the MS9800T on the last two, I can't remember if that's what I bought for the first two........

Now I'm going to wonder unless I wade through the paperwork........darn you anyway......

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah.... only $60 more dollars. But because of covid19 lockdown I'm only working 16hrs a week right now, and not sure how long that's even gonna last.
Hence questioning if reuse is fesible

Feasible, yes. Recommended, no. A thorough inspection for tears and splits, and an application of some sort of gasket dressing (Loctite Hi-tack, permatex #2, Indian Head shellac) should almost guarantee a seal.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

How could that be verified?
I know where you're coming from, lots of 1st gen seals and gaskets GM "fixes" next release usually with an updated part number and warranty claims for data.