Fender Flare help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EastTXYukon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
1996 Yukon 2 door. When I bought it 5 years ago it had what I thought were OEM fender flares on it. They were kinda in rough shape then. Fast forward and now those fender flares need to be replaced. How do I take them off? There are screws on the wheel well lip that obviously come off, but is there anything else? Plus how do I know for sure they are OEM? The more that I look at them the more I wonder. Thanks for any help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
There's like 6 or 7 holes on the inside of the fender that you reach through to remove a 10mm PAL nut. You can't reach all of them without some disassembly. The only time I've removed them, I had the fenders off the truck already. Someone else mentioned a while back you may be able to access them if you remove the inner fenderwell, which sounds like a lot of work, but at least easier than pulling the whole fender.

As far as OEM or not, if you pulled those screws you mentioned and it's still firmly attached, then yeah - almost 100% sure OEM flare, because it's got those studs that go through the fender. No aftermarket is gonna bother to mount like that.

These are the holes where the studs go through; on the backside of the fender are holes to get to the nuts.
You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

EastTXYukon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! After further review, i think the front flares are aftermarket, and the rears are OEM. Pretty awesome. They have different types of screws, and I know the front has double sided tape.

On the rear wheel wells I still don't see any speed nuts to take off? What do I have to take apart to find those?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, double-sided tape on the fronts wouldn't be an OEM installation. However they still may be OEM flares that someone tried to find an easier way to mount. If they're sort of "hollow" on the backside, with spots for the studs to go into, there ya go.

On the rears...beats me. The only trucks I've ever worked with the flares on were 3500HD's which were chassis cab; no factory bed to have rear flares. Hopefully someone else can chime in soon. But it's strange you don't see any as there should be easy access from inside the wheelwell - are you sure they aren't just covered with crud?

Richard

bullas1022

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On the rears there are plastic plugs in the body for the bottom two bolts to get to the remainder of the bolts you have to remove the rear interior panels and go at them from the inside. its a pain in the rear id recommend double sided tape or something else when you reinstall them

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Ugh, that sucks. I'd guess on a pickup bed you can access them from inside the wheelwell but I honestly don't know. Forgot he was working on a Yukon.

Richard

EastTXYukon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes that does suck! Thanks for the bad news guys!

Eskimomann209

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I pull these things off at a junk yard
I just remove the sheet metal screws and push them up out of that track
I never reach up inside to remove the inner screws
After that I remove the track with whatever method you desire then double stick tape them

The issue with my technique is you need to remove the impact trim
With the chrome at the top