Favorite OBD2 Scan Tool? Recommendations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tom P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know there are a million of them out there, whether you're looking at a bluetooth unit to pair to an app on your smartphone or tablet, or a stand alone, but what are some that people have that they like and would recommend. I'm in the market to purchase one. Don't need a million features, but don't really want a basement model either. Has anyone found a great "best bang for your buck"?

I'm considering a bluetooth style because I like the smartphone pairing capability. iPhone has a lot of available apps that pair to different readers, but I've read mixed reviews. Apps are free or at most fairly cheap and the readers/transmitters are $10-20. If someone has found a good Consumer grade (not running a repair shop here but I would like to do some diagnostics) stand alone unit that they think works great for the weekend warrior and is reasonably priced, put it here.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I tried the DashCommand and a Palmer Performance OBD connector for iPhone and could never get the OBD connector to connect.

I ended up with a cheap RCA android tablet, a BAFX 34t5 adapter and both DashCommand and CarGauge Pro android apps. They work great, though the DashCommand is a little more user friendly.

Both of those read the CMP retard if you're having to pull the distributor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wingman

Reaction score
I got one of the chinese copy Tech 2 scanners. Real helpful on obscure faults, and you can run many of the systems on your truck for diagnosis. Helped me a lot with my 6.0 when it was troublesome.....Hope this helps!
I know there are a million of them out there, whether you're looking at a bluetooth unit to pair to an app on your smartphone or tablet, or a stand alone, but what are some that people have that they like and would recommend. I'm in the market to purchase one. Don't need a million features, but don't really want a basement model either. Has anyone found a great "best bang for your buck"?

I'm considering a bluetooth style because I like the smartphone pairing capability. iPhone has a lot of available apps that pair to different readers, but I've read mixed reviews. Apps are free or at most fairly cheap and the readers/transmitters are $10-20. If someone has found a good Consumer grade (not running a repair shop here but I would like to do some diagnostics) stand alone unit that they think works great for the weekend warrior and is reasonably priced, put it here.

OlSmokie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Years ago I got a unit from China for $15 (free shipping) that goes from the OBD2 plug to USB. It came with free software and I just use an old laptop with it.
I actually works really well. You can monitor everything, read and clear codes, etc. I think the software is called ProScan.
You must be registered for see images attach

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score