FastOrange's: 2002 K2500HD Build.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
i believe they recommend 5w30, i run 15w40 in all my trucks, its readily available up here. they say to run at least 10w30 in the 8.1, suppose to help with oil burning.

Check out dieselplace.com, GM Gassers section.

Are you saying 5w30 and 10w30 are not readily available? 5w30 is what the factory fill was, I think. It certainly was on my 454, but 10w30 is also a recommended oil weight, by GM. I would think that would be true for the 8.1L as well. I don't understand why people want to go heavy with oil against the manufacturers recommendations.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Are you saying 5w30 and 10w30 are not readily available? 5w30 is what the factory fill was, I think. It certainly was on my 454, but 10w30 is also a recommended oil weight, by GM. I would think that would be true for the 8.1L as well. I don't understand why people want to go heavy with oil against the manufacturers recommendations.

its personal preference whatever people wana run they should

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score

Again, I'm not doing it for fun, my dad owns 2 diesels, our shelves alway have 15w40, my friends dad used to own a truck shop and literally has thousands of gallons of 15w40, a lot of forums says to run at least 10w30 in an 8.1L to help with oil burning issues, and seeing how mine has nearly 300,000 miles on it, it needs all the help it can get!

Also 15w40 has a lot of detergents in it, helps to clear sludge out of engines.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Again, I'm not doing it for fun, my dad owns 2 diesels, our shelves alway have 15w40, my friends dad used to own a truck shop and literally has thousands of gallons of 15w40, a lot of forums says to run at least 10w30 in an 8.1L to help with oil burning issues, and seeing how mine has nearly 300,000 miles on it, it needs all the help it can get!

Also 15w40 has a lot of detergents in it, helps to clear sludge out of engines.

Any weight heavy duty motor oil should have decent detergents...... The Rotella 10w30 I run is a gas and diesel rated HD oil. I guess if you're basically getting oil for free/cheap, I could see using it if it isn't causing problems.

Any particular plans for the truck? I'd be curious to know what kind of mileage you get.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
Any weight heavy duty motor oil should have decent detergents...... The Rotella 10w30 I run is a gas and diesel rated HD oil. I guess if you're basically getting oil for free/cheap, I could see using it if it isn't causing problems.

Any particular plans for the truck? I'd be curious to know what kind of mileage you get.

Well, im currently chasing a missfire issue, getting horrible mileage. like literally 4MPG.

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
i believe they recommend 5w30, i run 15w40 in all my trucks, its readily available up here. they say to run at least 10w30 in the 8.1, suppose to help with oil burning.

Check out dieselplace.com, GM Gassers section.
I've been running it in mine due to the same reasons. It's there because of the shop. I get it free or dirt cheap. Mobil 1 15w40. My truck likes it a lot besides a little bit longer crank time.
Well, im currently chasing a missfire issue, getting horrible mileage. like literally 4MPG.
Ouch :bawl: hope you get her sorted out. I love the truck besides the vents :lol:

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
I've been running it in mine due to the same reasons. It's there because of the shop. I get it free or dirt cheap. Mobil 1 15w40. My truck likes it a lot besides a little bit longer crank time.

Ouch :bawl: hope you get her sorted out. I love the truck besides the vents :lol:

I used 15w40 more for the oil consumption issues then anything.

the vents will be off soon enough, just to cold right now, worried about the 3M tape wrecking the paint.