FastOrange's: 2002 K2500HD Build.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
Just did 4hi mod, so easy on NBS!, just remove headlight (No tools required btw), splice into yellow low beam wire and ground it, done!

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
this 2002 2500HD with 8.1L, has 273,000 Miles, only mods i can see done to it is a K&N CAI and a ty dual exhaust setup that has seen better days.

When i got it, it had a very rough idle with flashing CEL, first thing i did was replace the spark plugs with NGK TR55IX's gapped at .045, that cleared up abit of the misfire but it was still there.

had a buddy scan it, came up as cyl #5 having a huge miss and #4 having a slight one.

Buddy works at a wreckers, so i bored a set of coils from him, replaced whole drivers side and put one of my known good ones on #4.

Better, but still there.

figured it must be wires, since it had some ty house brand 7mm's on it, I ordered some Taylor 10.4's off summit, overkill i know, but price was good.

Idles better yet, but still has missfire and still has flashing CEL. but when i rev it anything past idle, it revs beautifully, can hold at 2000RPM and it doesn't fluctuate at all.

I also have a rattle, if i rev up the engine on its way back down to idle it will make a rattle, sounds like lifter/valve train noise.

Could i have a bent pushrod or sticky lifter causing me all this grief?

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Have you cleaned up the MAF? With that K&N, you've probably got some oil on it. Having said that, my 454 has always had what feels like an erratic miss or stumble at idle.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
Have you cleaned up the MAF? With that K&N, you've probably got some oil on it. Having said that, my 454 has always had what feels like an erratic miss or stumble at idle.

I haven't actualley, I had the cold air off other day, MAF screen and sensor was clean.

But I will be getting some cleaner tomorrow and giving it a clean.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I haven't actualley, I had the cold air off other day, MAF screen and sensor was clean.

But I will be getting some cleaner tomorrow and giving it a clean.

I wouldn't think you could tell if it was clean with the screen in. I haven't had mine in so long, I can't remember if I had a screen on both sides, or one. I think you've probably got the newer MAF design, Though. "De-screening" of the MAF is the one bandwagon modification that I've done. I probably wouldn't do it again. The only benefit, I see, is that it's much easier to clean.