False error code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flyboy1294

Pro basket weaver
Reaction score
Since I got my Black Bear tune my SES light has been periodically coming on. I had a mechanic hook a scan tool to it and it came back as a bad coolant temp sensor causing the truck to run rich/lean. Well on the way home from the shop after having that replaced, the light came on again. This time the mechanic told me there wasn't even an error code in the computer. He said that the computer was giving a 'false error message' or something similar.

Has anyone heard of anything like this before? I do not know if I should contact Blackbear about this problem, or if it is even something they can fix. I've never heard of such a thing, and I suspect my local mechanic may not be nearly as competent as he claims with PCM's.

When you tell people around here anything about a 'tune' or PCM work, they automatically blame that and do not want much more to do with it... there is a strange superstition revolving around fuel injection here for some reason. :nono: I'm in an awkward position though because there aren't many decent mechanics locally aside from the one I already go to.

Anyway, I'd love to hear your thoughts or advise. I'm at a lose here, and I do not want to drive this thing around with lights blinking on the dash.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Call blackbear, maybe go somewhere else to see if they can pull the code first. But my first call would be to blackbear if everything else is working properly...

Is the light coming on and then going back off eventually or constantly blinking? Constantly blinking is a misfire....

flyboy1294

Pro basket weaver
Reaction score
Call blackbear, maybe go somewhere else to see if they can pull the code first. But my first call would be to blackbear if everything else is working properly...

Is the light coming on and then going back off eventually or constantly blinking? Constantly blinking is a misfire....

It comes on and does not blink... just glows steadily. I have not driven the truck more than 100 miles with it on. During that time, it did not go off though. I can unhook the battery and make it go off, but it seems to come back on within 250miles every time.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats not a misfire then, but it is something that should be stored in the computer. When you pull the battery cables you reset everything. Sounds like something going on in the computer.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just to clarify, type A misfires blink, other misfires like P0300's and such will not blink but still illuminate the SES light, but both should still store a code, or at least some freeze frame data...

go to a parts store and borrow a scanner, try to pull the code yourself, and see if there is any freeze frame data....if there is, don't automatically erase it, post up what you find and we can try to help out.

I don't let any mechanic touch my truck, so many for them aren't as competent as they claim, a few are really good, but the good ones are rare. besides, no one knows my truck better than me...I know thats the way alot of us are.

flyboy1294

Pro basket weaver
Reaction score
just to clarify, type A misfires blink, other misfires like P0300's and such will not blink but still illuminate the SES light, but both should still store a code, or at least some freeze frame data...

go to a parts store and borrow a scanner, try to pull the code yourself, and see if there is any freeze frame data....if there is, don't automatically erase it, post up what you find and we can try to help out.

I don't let any mechanic touch my truck, so many for them aren't as competent as they claim, a few are really good, but the good ones are rare. besides, no one knows my truck better than me...I know thats the way alot of us are.

Good idea. I will wait for it to come up again, then try to get the code myself. If all else fails I will contact Blackbear and see if they can help.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah, that sounds like a good plan.

I have seen PCM's go bad and start throwing odd codes here and there, but its VERY rare. I had a PCM start throwing O2 codes, but I switched PCMs and the new one didn't throw the code at all, when I opened up the bad one it had corrosion on the circuit board which I'm sure was causing the problems.

flyboy1294

Pro basket weaver
Reaction score
yeah, that sounds like a good plan.

I have seen PCM's go bad and start throwing odd codes here and there, but its VERY rare. I had a PCM start throwing O2 codes, but I switched PCMs and the new one didn't throw the code at all, when I opened up the bad one it had corrosion on the circuit board which I'm sure was causing the problems.

Well, after about 20 miles the light came back on today. :( I was hoping it'd be fixed. Anyway, I'll take it to Advanced in the morning and try to get a code out of it then post it on here before work.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
see if you can read any freeze frame data and post that up too.