False error code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh, you mean the location on the headers, the stock location would be on the Y pipe.

yeah it sounds like you know what cylinder its happening on at least.

that code won't keep being thrown for just being a little bit rich, it would have to be consistently rich enough to throw the code, just clearing the code over and over isn't going to fix anything, you can pull the upper manifold off and look to see if you have any signs of regulator leaking or puddling in the intake, otherwise I would bet its the injector itself.

flyboy1294

Pro basket weaver
Reaction score
Ouch. So would it do any good moving the 02 sensor to the collector? And will I need to replace the entire spider assembly or can I just repair that one? I haven't ever opened this motor up...

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
moving the O2 past the collector would be ideal for many reasons, but it wouldn't solve the problem you're having, you can replace the individual poppet I believe. however, you know its happening on one cylinder, it may be happening on others too since you can't monitor anything from 3 of the cylinders on that bank.

flyboy1294

Pro basket weaver
Reaction score
moving the O2 past the collector would be ideal for many reasons, but it wouldn't solve the problem you're having, you can replace the individual poppet I believe. however, you know its happening on one cylinder, it may be happening on others too since you can't monitor anything from 3 of the cylinders on that bank.

So I probably need someone with a GM Tech II to hook up to it and check the fuel injectors functioning individually? That way I can order the poppets in advance and know what I'm up against before the intake is pulled off...

And after that, I can take it back to the exhaust shop and have them move that 02 to the right spot I guess.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nope, I don't have a techII, but I'm pretty sure it, or any other scanner/logger won't be able to tell if individual poppets are leaking because they aren't real fuel injectors, no electronics at the injection point at all, its a central fuel metering body, and a pressure sensitive poppet valve. thats why the gen1e vortec injection method is called CSFI (central sequential fuel injection)....and its not typically the electronic metering body that fails

however, you might be able to find someone with EFILive (or maybe other software) to do an injector balance test, which might help a little, but it still won't flat out tell you exactally what needs replacing...

you're kinda stuck here, you could try replacing just the single valve itself, and hope the regulator, or other poppets aren't problematic either....or replace the spider assembly, which is what I'd suggest, preferrably with the upgraded MPFI spider, but a regular CSFI poppet version would work too, but they're about the same price new either way.

flyboy1294

Pro basket weaver
Reaction score
nope, I don't have a techII, but I'm pretty sure it, or any other scanner/logger won't be able to tell if individual poppets are leaking because they aren't real fuel injectors, no electronics at the injection point at all, its a central fuel metering body, and a pressure sensitive poppet valve. thats why the gen1e vortec injection method is called CSFI (central sequential fuel injection)....and its not typically the electronic metering body that fails

however, you might be able to find someone with EFILive (or maybe other software) to do an injector balance test, which might help a little, but it still won't flat out tell you exactally what needs replacing...

you're kinda stuck here, you could try replacing just the single valve itself, and hope the regulator, or other poppets aren't problematic either....or replace the spider assembly, which is what I'd suggest, preferrably with the upgraded MPFI spider, but a regular CSFI poppet version would work too, but they're about the same price new either way.

Ah, I see. I do not know anyone off the top of my head that has EFI live... is there any other way I can verify that the problem is related to injectors? I do not need to know which poppet is malfunctioning specifically, because I might just do the MPFI upgrade for peace of mind in the future. The truck has ran and is still running flawlessly up until this point, but it does have 155,000 miles on it so it may be time to replace some internal parts.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would try moving the O2 sensor first. This problem didn't start until you put the headers right?

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah, I see. I do not know anyone off the top of my head that has EFI live... is there any other way I can verify that the problem is related to injectors? I do not need to know which poppet is malfunctioning specifically, because I might just do the MPFI upgrade for peace of mind in the future. The truck has ran and is still running flawlessly up until this point, but it does have 155,000 miles on it so it may be time to replace some internal parts.

if you're replacing the spider, than it doesn't matter if its the injectors or not because you're replacing everything fuel related except the pump and lines. and a balance test still won't tell you injector vs not injector either.

you can try moving the O2 sensor if you want and see if it makes any difference, I don't think it'll fix the problem, but it would be wise to move it after the collector anyways, so it's worth trying.

flyboy1294

Pro basket weaver
Reaction score
if you're replacing the spider, than it doesn't matter if its the injectors or not because you're replacing everything fuel related except the pump and lines. and a balance test still won't tell you injector vs not injector either.

you can try moving the O2 sensor if you want and see if it makes any difference, I don't think it'll fix the problem, but it would be wise to move it after the collector anyways, so it's worth trying.
What I meant was was there a way to determine if it was the fuel system for certain and not just a vacuum leak hidden somewhere. I will buy new gaskets for the headers and move the 02 sensor and go from there.