Factory fog light switch how many wires do I need to use?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z Long Bed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks like I need the bezel too. Mine only has the cargo light and the other 2 spots are blank and are part of the bezel. The square sections dont pop out....

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like I need the bezel too. Mine only has the cargo light and the other 2 spots are blank and are part of the bezel. The square sections dont pop out....

You need another Bezel from a cargo switch setup. What you have to do is cut the top blank (or bottom if that's where you want it) off. Then you take the new piece, cut the air bag spot out of it an that's what the fog light switch goes into.

Actually if you want it in the bottom you just need a air bag switch Bezel, it will go writhe in there with no mods since you don't have an air bag switch...

The fog light switch is the hard part to get. Get that an the bezels are easy to get....

BoxerPitMix

Chris
Reaction score
I am pretty sure I still have a the fog light switch, pigtail and bezel if you're interested. I'll have to take a look in the garage when I get home.

Sent from a Duramax powered iPhone.

Z Long Bed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am pretty sure I still have a the fog light switch, pigtail and bezel if you're interested. I'll have to take a look in the garage when I get home.

Sent from a Duramax powered iPhone.

I'm interested. Let me know. Thanks everyone..

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How many wires do I need to use on a factory fog light switch?
I'm about to install a pair of fog lights and would like to use a factory fog light switch.
The switch that came with the lights has 3 wires.

BTW, I'm looking for a factory switch to use since I don't have one yet.
Thanks for any help...

How did you make out using the OEM switch? I have a vertical mounted swtich and a 12V relay and I need to know how to hook up the wiring for the switch to the relay. I am not splicing the fog light circuit into the headlights. I want total control over the lights as long as the truck is running.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put 12v on switch contact a, switch contact b will go to the relay to turn it on..

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Put 12v on switch contact a, switch contact b will go to the relay to turn it on..

That still leaves me with 3 wires on the switch.

Terminal A is grey which from what I read somewhere on the forum, goes to dash lighting so I cant put a constant 12V to that terminal or the the switch will illuminate all the time.

I could have that wrong which is why I am trying to get this squared away now before I go and melt the switch.

Tell me if this is correct.

Terminal A=grey----------------dash lighting??????
Terminal B=yellow---------------12V with key ON
Terminal C=not used
Terminal D=black-------------- goes to ground???
Terminal E=purple--------------indicator light in switch????
Terminal F=brown--------------?????????

Relay
Terminal 30=12V hot to the battery with inline fuse????
Terminal 85=OEM switch(purple and brown wires spliced together????????
Terminal 86=ground
Terminal 87=to foglights

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The pin out is in the second post. I really cant think of a way to explain it easier than that. I work with diagrams all the time though so it just comes easy to me.

The wire colors could be different but you can see those letters on the plug or the switch one I can't remember.

The pin for illumination (A) lights up the word fog on the switch. Hook it to the dash lighting which is an orange wire.

The indicator pin (E) lights up the small yellow square in the switch to tell you the lights are on. You can just hook it into the same connector as "switch contact b" (or pin D) since you only want that light to be on when the switch is closed.

Neither of those are required for the switch to function, they are only for the lights.

B is the hot side of the switch that you put switched +12v to
D is the one that goes to your relay

F is ground for the switch lights only. It also isn't necessary for the switches operation.

In order for the switch to turn something on an off you only need to use pins b an d.

Hope that helps some an doesn't just confuse you more...

Last edited:

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im no electrician so bear with me here. I just hooked up the switch to a 12V battery using terminal E (indicator)on the hot side and F(ground) on the ground side and the little indicator light on the switch lights up no matter if the switch is "off" or "on".

I then hooked up F(ground) and terminal B(switched12V) and when the switch was in the on position is supplied 12V to terminal D(relay trigger) which is what the switch is supposed to do so at least I know that works.

I then hooked up terminal F(ground) and terminal A(illumination) and nothing happens on the switch. nothing illuminates when the switch is either on or off.

Could there be a bulb or diode of some sort that is burnt out and not allowing the word FOG to illuminate or am I doing something wrong?

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That indicator (pin e) will light when it has power. In order for it to light only when the switch is on you want it spliced in with pin d. That way pin d supplies power to your relay an that indicator when the switch is in the on position only.

There was no need to hook ground up when you were testing pins b an d. Ground isn't necessary for power to flow through there.

The switch uses leds to light those so your led for the illumination could be burned out. As far as I know that should have worked an made it light up as long as you had the polarity correct. When hooked up in the truck fog should illuminate whenever the headlight are on regardless of switch position.