Factory color that no one will admit to!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fishlove

Reaction score
Hello fellow GMT400 enthusiasts, we are new to the forum but have discovered what an awesome resource it is.

Here is the issue, 1995 GMC SIERRA C2500. Paint code is 38u, comes back as a bright teal metallic. Paint code from the GM build sheet and the option list say the same thing. Truck has never been repainted. The color on the truck is a very bright metallic green. The paint from two different sources is incorrect. Both sources have mixed up more of a bright grey/blue. Question is does GM ever mess up on the paint code? Did GM ever do a special color for "special" people? Any suggestions? We wanted to blend into the original paint because most of if is in very good condition.

Thanks in advance,
Fishlove.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just my What paint jobber? Find one that has the capability to camera/ computer color match it . 38u also is a high pearl color which you can have a hard time matching with bottom shelf paint. Good enough for all over but not so much for blending. So what paint system are you working with? Also some tones will have faded in 25 years it's been on the truck, and not to mention there are probably a few variances/formulas for 38u. So right back to finding a Jobber that can do the picture and maybe some tinting if still not close enough.

Last edited:

jus10inbrla

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I couldnt respond with pic from the message u sent.

But heres mine last week.
As the others stated, if your trying to match EXACTLY what u have now, let them paint scan it with a camera.

Keep in mind your dealing with 30 yrs of sun and weather. I bought original color and know it will be just a touch off of what it is now, but im not blending im completely redoing

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Fishlove

Reaction score
That's the color I kept on getting, a lot of blue in it. Same paint code too. There was definitely some funny business going on at GM. I couldn't find any GM vehicles that were my color on any of the other car lines. Thanks for all your hard work!!

I'll keep diggin!!

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's the color I kept on getting, a lot of blue in it. Same paint code too. There was definitely some funny business going on at GM. I couldn't find any GM vehicles that were my color on any of the other car lines. Thanks for all your hard work!!

I'll keep diggin!!

Just10’s pic says 1996, you need 95, I think 94 is also the same teal green.

My 95 is the same as yours posted.