Factory color that no one will admit to!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fishlove

Reaction score
Finally.......... they mixed the correct color!!! Weirdly enough it has the same paint code but the formula is waaay different.
That's the color I kept on getting, a lot of blue in it. Same paint code too. There was definitely some funny business going on at GM. I couldn't find any GM vehicles that were my color on any of the other car lines. Thanks for all your hard work!!

I'll keep diggin!!
You must be registered for see images attach

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
GM used multiple color variants of the same paint code and the only way to mix it correct is visual comparison and tinting. Nissan was the worst though, they had 11 variants of the same champagne color on sentras in the late 90's. I mixed a ton of PPG back in the day and it's a nightmare.
Color matching is every painters nightmare lol

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
I couldnt respond with pic from the message u sent.

But heres mine last week.
As the others stated, if your trying to match EXACTLY what u have now, let them paint scan it with a camera.

Keep in mind your dealing with 30 yrs of sun and weather. I bought original color and know it will be just a touch off of what it is now, but im not blending im completely redoing

Sorry to be off topic here, but hey you did the two tone on the upper portion! Looks good man.

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Finally.......... they mixed the correct color!!! Weirdly enough it has the same paint code but the formula is waaay different.

not weird at all ,happens daily with every car company. Paint code and variant deck is all that matters, the OEM code just gets me to the right variant deck. The year doesn't matter, the name doesn't matter. We have changed to having the manufacturer not matter, everything is by color family, there is no "GM" paint.
Sounds like your paint store isn't using their variant deck.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
not weird at all ,happens daily with every car company. Paint code and variant deck is all that matters, the OEM code just gets me to the right variant deck. The year doesn't matter, the name doesn't matter. We have changed to having the manufacturer not matter, everything is by color family, there is no "GM" paint.
Sounds like your paint store isn't using their variant deck.

Pretty much how the Basf rig I work off is set up

When I pull a formula up on the puter it lists "most common color position" first, then all the variances under that with reference numbers to the color deck. Grab the color deck I need , kill the booth lights, grab the daylight corrected lamp and start looking at colors. If nothing's close I go get the camera.