External Spare Tire Carrier - Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Boelte

Reaction score
I'm looking for spare tire mounting options. My tire doesn't fit in the stock location and I don't like it taking up so much cargo room.

You must be registered for see images attach

I found a neat looking carrier: http://www.tiregate.com/hg_series_0.shtml

The bad: It costs about $800 and it mounts into the reciever hitch. The good: It secures my spare outside the cargo area and allows me easy access to the cargo area. Looks pretty tough too. ;)

Anyone else have any suggestions?

JAW's

B/W Country & Amer. R&R
Reaction score
looks like it has a 2" reciever built into it so you still have one :shrug: that way you would not loose that option

John Boelte

Reaction score
I'm not sure why I don't like that feature very much; it seems easy to steal, may not be a valid concern. I think I would prefer a rear bumper with the tire mount integrated into it. I'd like to see more options...

John Boelte

Reaction score
EmersonHart13 - I thought about that, I'd want to have a way to lock it... The truck is already 7 feet tall, not sure about adding another foot or two... Then trying to get the tire up there... Getting it dwon would be easy. :D

Is this what you've got going?

EmersonHart13

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, mine is in the truck, but I always thought it was a good spot for a large spare. Granted I am 6'6" tall so it is easier for me than most to handle loading the roof rack. If you had a rack you could always lock it to that...?

John Boelte

Reaction score
John (EmmersonHart13), I'm 5'8", my truck is 7' tall, tire is 35" tall, not sure that's a good option for me. lol...

WFO4X4, I'll go check out Tactical Armor...

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
Im pretty sure it just bolts in place of the stock rear bumper. I love the way that bumper/carrier looks!