Exhaust Opinions??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Well i have a 92 GMC with a 350. Right now i am running Longtube Heddman headers going to true dual 2 1/4 inch straight pipe out the back to 3 1/2 inch tips. (no cats) I put a new cam in and the motor needs more back pressureso i need some mufflers. I have some mufflers in mind i just need some opinions. I am considering dual Thrush welded, flowmaster super 10s or cherrybomb extremes, and a dual in dual out flowmaster super 40. I just need some opinons on which one to choose.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
The FM Super 40s are too loud IMO. Youtue is not known for giving exhaust sound clips justice and the ones I've seen on youtube are very loud. Might be your taste but not mine.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The FM Super 40s are too loud IMO. Youtue is not known for giving exhaust sound clips justice and the ones I've seen on youtube are very loud. Might be your taste but not mine.

You do realize he is running no cats or muffs right now right? I don't think loud is a factor for him:lol:

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
Oh yeah i read that just didn't consider it when I posted haha...

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
I had a flowmaster super 40 di/do with gutted cats on my black truck it was loud but not overwhelmingly loud

Sent from my 6.0 powered android

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
Why do you think the motor needs backpressure? If its running differently it needs a tune, not mufflers. But I'd go with thrush for sounds or something straight-through like magnaflow or borla for performance

Silverick

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why do you think the motor needs backpressure? If its running differently it needs a tune, not mufflers. But I'd go with thrush for sounds or something straight-through like magnaflow or borla for performance

Back pressure helps with low end torque and is actually a good thing in some situations.

A buddy of mine has a blown BBC in his boat that dyno'd at just over 900hp. We put it in the boat and it ran awesome without any baffles in the pipes.....

We put the baffles in one weekend for the noise restrictions on a certain water venue..... and it ran better!!!

It's always nice to tell a story with pictures!! lol

Attachments

• Jim's Boat at Jerry's (3).jpg
    Jim's Boat at Jerry's (3).jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Jim's Boat at Jerry's (1).jpg
    Jim's Boat at Jerry's (1).jpg
    95 KB · Views: 12
  • Jim's Boat at Jerry's (4).jpg
    Jim's Boat at Jerry's (4).jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Jim's Boat at Jerry's.jpg
    Jim's Boat at Jerry's.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 13

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
That's a freaking sweet boat, and while it may have ran better, it wasn't from the back pressure. The baffles may have changed the tuning of the pressure waves to help with scavenging and that is why it ran better. For anyone that's more interested in the science behind exhaust systems, there is a great article here http://www.superchevy.com/technical/engines_drivetrain/exhaust/0505phr_exh/viewall.html that explains everything very well