exhaust manifold prep??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jkeaton

It’s been real
Reaction score
No. Wd-40 is a lubricant. Not a penetrating fluid. Wd-40 is good for lubricating squeaky door hinges. You want a real penetrating fluid. Trust the suggestions. PB Blaster.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
No. Wd-40 is a lubricant. Not a penetrating fluid. Wd-40 is good for lubricating squeaky door hinges. You want a real penetrating fluid. Trust the suggestions. PB Blaster.
In truth, it's not a lubricant, either. It's for displacing moisture (WD = water displacing) and that's about it. It can -substitute- as a lubricant and a penetrating oil, but it's not great at either of those jobs.

I totally agree with you on the PB Blaster. It's my favorite. Makes Liquid Wrench look like water. Some prefer Kroil, but I've never used it.

Richard

jkeaton

It’s been real
Reaction score
In truth, it's not a lubricant, either. It's for displacing moisture (WD = water displacing) and that's about it. It can -substitute- as a lubricant and a penetrating oil, but it's not great at either of those jobs.

I totally agree with you on the PB Blaster. It's my favorite. Makes Liquid Wrench look like water. Some prefer Kroil, but I've never used it.

Richard

I stand corrected.

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
Just to be clear, I didn't suggest WD-40, I just said I used it with success. I am totally in 100% agreement with using PB blaster for its intended purpose.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
That'll work, too. :) For $10 it's hard to go wrong with that Lisle piece though. It gets a good bite in due to the design of the end pieces. It's tough to beat "free" out of stuff you have sitting around, too!

Richard

phule

Back in a 400 again
Reaction score
This should be stickied! Great information. I never knew that tool existed.

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In a pinch, you can make a good penetrating agent by mixing acetone and ATF. Put it in a pump oil can, and apply to the fasteners. Not sure how it will affect the pump in the oil can though.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In a pinch, you can make a good penetrating agent by mixing acetone and ATF. Put it in a pump oil can, and apply to the fasteners. Not sure how it will affect the pump in the oil can though.
I will attest to that. I honestly think that it works better.